Advice about finance after relationship split

manu77

Hi guys.I have recently split from my partner of 6 years and have 2 young children aged 2 and 7.We lived in a co op house which we fought hard to get as i am out of work due to an accident which left me permanently injured.My partner was out every weekend while i stayed at home minding the kids.Her excuse was we only have enough cash for 1 of us to go out and i don't drink.I never complained as i loved being around the kids they are great craic.
The last night she went out she never came home until 8 the following morning in a state and i knew she was with someone else.She walked by me and the kids and on up to bed like everything was fine.Leaving me to look after the kids and her sisters son,who is also great and loved having him over to play with my son.Anyway next day when she had her sleep and sobered up she said there is no point in me being there anymore.I said you are not taking me away from my kids after you're carry on.She then kept threatening to have the guards remove me from the house so i taught of the kids and the scene it would cause for them with guards calling round to remove me and i couldn't do that so i left.My son was in a state as i was leaving so i brought him with me to my parents for a couple of days.He didn't want to go back and i told him you have to go home son you're mammy and sister miss you very much.I mailed his mam to tell her he would be home tomorrow but she called the guards to my parents home to get the child.The guards could see the child was happy and told her what is the point in taking him home now when he is happy and being looked after here.So we agreed he would go home next day and he did.He stays with me 3 nights a week and i still do the school run every day as i want things to be as normal as possible for him.After school i bring him to my parents to do his homework and he plays until 6 and then i bring him home.I see my daughter 3 days a week for 4 hours while my son is in school and they both stay every Saturday.Im living in my parents now so it's not easy for them either having us all taking over the house.They are 65 and retired and raised their kids.
Anyway my ex still threatens me when i call to collect them and intends on bringing me to court.I was involved in an accident in work and have an ongoing insurance claim for my crushed leg.I am still being treated after 4 years.My ex now tells me she is going to take this from me.I intend please god to try to fund a home for the kids and i where they can stay when they like but as of now i have a room in my parents.It's a horrible situation.
My question is can she take this from me?
Many thanks.

Hi this is a complicated situation on many levels ...your physical problem, the split up, the threats of gardai, the childrens' divided week, your retired parents.

You need special advice and direction to sort this on emotional, personal and financial fronts. There is a group called Treoir who have excellent people. Google them . There are other groups also ...One Family...Parent line....also Citizens Information could direct you .... I think you should do this tomorrow.
Good luck, take care

Thank you for the reply.I shall look into and contact the groups advised.
Very much appreciated.

What a terrible situation to be in. You need a very good family solicitor. I would also keep a diary of all events with evidence if possible. Whatever you do, you must not put one step out of line no matter how provoked. There is no point beating about the bush here, the facts are that the odds are stacked against you as statistics show it's generally the mother that gets custody. Unless things have changed.

Back