Adverts that wouldn't get made now

Purple

Can anyone think of old adverts that wouldn't get made now.
I'm talking about ones from the last 20-30 years, not the really racist and sexist ones from the 60's and before.

I showed this one for a women's deodorant from the 80's to my 17 year old daughter and she was freaked out.

Any ad where a white man comes out on top, most modern ads have the white man as the butt of the joke. In fairness they seem to be addressing this now probably because the hypocrisy was becoming too obvious and they were alienating half their market.

That goddawful Bank of Ireland ad appearing on RTE television at the moment is perhaps the worst ad in history. It shows an Irish lady moving out of her several bedrooms house and moving in with her married son who has decorated a room for her in 1960's wallpaper. Dreadful stuff! I don't know how it has survived the weeks since it first appeared. Where's that bucket . . . ?

Any ad where a white man comes out on top, most modern ads have the white man as the butt of the joke. In fairness they seem to be addressing this now probably because the hypocrisy was becoming too obvious and they were alienating half their market.
I'd say man rather than white man.
Around 80% of spending decisions are made by women so the advertisers are just playing to their market. I presume women feel as patronised as men feel ridiculed.

That goddawful Bank of Ireland ad appearing on RTE television at the moment is perhaps the worst ad in history. It shows an Irish lady moving out of her several bedrooms house and moving in with her married son who has decorated a room for her in 1960's wallpaper. Dreadful stuff! I don't know how it has survived the weeks since it first appeared. Where's that bucket . . . ?
Dunno Leper, I thought her son was kind & thoughtful. The house was clearly too large for her and he was brought up well to avoid unnecessary spending...so he moved everything from her old living room to her "new" one. Looks just like a nursing home too to be honest, she must be thrilled. As a Brucie Bonus she'll get to spend considerably more time with her grandkids now too, as her son & daughter-in-law are out spending their sudden windfall. Sure, what more could she wish for?

Bit close to the bone? ;)

I think the advertising industry is an extension of the modern media, the people that make ads are the same type of people that end up in RTE , Sky or BBC. Industry doesn't have as much say as they used to when ads were more focused on the product being sold and humour was an integral part of it. Now you can have a very expensive long production and not have a clue what product is being sold.

How about the ads for Hamlet cigars ??

My dad started smoking these when he decided to give up cigarettes but made the full switch to pipe when he realised how many he was chewing each day and the cost!!

Back