Adverts.ie scam?

babydays

Looking for some advice - in the age of so many scams I'm just not sure.

I purchased an item on adverts using paypal but then the seller kept saying delivery was delayed. When I made the payment the seller asked for my mobile number which I gave them thinking it might be needed for delivery.
The item wasn't sent and kept being 'delayed' so through messages on adverts.ie I asked for a refund. When I didn't hear anything I went through the paypal site and emailed the seller directly asking for a refund as I had paid through paypal. The seller, after a long silence said no problem I'd have it the next day.
Today I had a missed call/message on my phone saying that their paypal account is block so can I call to give him my revolut details to make a payment though revolut.

I'm worried a) about my original payment not being returned and b) is this a scam - have I given too many details about myself?

I suspect that if the PayPal account is really locked, chances of a refund may be slim. Going back a few years, so PayPal may have changed how they operate, but when I had a dispute resolved in my favour they said they didn't refund saying they'd only do so if they were able to recover from the other party. There was no money in their account so I was never refunded,

Payment recipients are PayPal's real customers so they are very reluctant to cause them problems.

Going back a few years, so PayPal may have changed how they operate, but when I had a dispute resolved in my favour they said they didn't refund saying they'd only do so if they were able to recover from the other party.

I had a dispute with PayPal a few years ago that could only be resolved by a personal letter to their EU CEO based in Luxembourg.

The address is:
PayPal (Europe) S.à r.l. et Cie, S.C.A.
22-24, Boulevard Royal
L-2449 LUXEMBOURG

My dad was the victim of an attempted scam on donedeal a while ago. It was pretty elaborate and he was nearly duped out of a three-figure sum. I won't post details but it involved PayPal and items sent by post. The scammers are most likely on another continent entirely.

I would avoid donedeal entirely unless it's a physical meet-up with cash handover or instant payment via Revolut.

Oh boy, now I'm confused. If their paypal account is blocked then I may not get a refund from paypal
If I just give him my revolut name can he scam me in some way?
He's a large seller on adverts and looking back I can see about 7% of reviews are negative but most of those are about very slow delivery (months instead of the next week promised). Most of reviews are very positive otherwise

If he has your phone number then he can revolut you using that alone. As far as I remember it will show him your @revolut username.

Most likely he is dropshipping or ordering from someone when he gets an order. PayPal have probably caught on.

No issue giving him your Revolut handle. No other details are required

No issue giving him your Revolut handle. No other details are required
Beware scams around "failed payments" - scammers will claim that they accidentally overpaid you (maybe even send you fake screenshots) and you innocently reimburse them the "balance".

Back