advertisements slowing down my dial-up

S

sunrock

hi
I am in a dial up area,and i get 46.6Kbps.
I use yahoo as my home page and usually am on the intrenet while i watch T.V.,AS IT IS NOT VERY FAST.
nOW SOMETIMES MY COMPUTER "cannot find server"...and I have to try again..but what does this mean?
Other times the programme is not responding..theicon doesn`t work when i click and i have to turn off the computer and restart later....is that a crash?
Sometime i have a big post written for this forum and i click to post and the page " cannot be displayed" and i`ve lost it and can`t be bothered to write it out again!.....
Now what really annoys me is the picture ads that appear in my yahoo home page, as they slow my internet down ...the e bay bulbs that light up are particularly bad.
Is there anything i can do...would anyone recommend a home page that would be better for me ?

Hi Sunrock,

When I was on dial up I set google.com as my home page.

Have you checked the "how to keep a clean pc" key post at the top of this forum?

What browser do you use?

What anti spyware have you got?

When composing large posts it is a good idea to compose off line using wordpad or ms word ect, then cut and paste.

aj

If you switch to the Firefox browser you cal install a plugin that blocks ad's - once you've used it you'll never go back to IE

One thing is you may have Windows updates enabled, they may be running while you are tryig to surf the web and as I discovered reasonally they will criple your download of anything else.
Check on bottom right taskbar and check if they running when you connect.

Check if there are no apps trying to highjack your internet connection.
Do you ever get diverted to a "dodgy" website after you connect?

Also try different ISP providers rather than one and see if you get better download speed.
Other thing is the phone lines, down west I know I have even only got 32k or 28k, believe it or not in this golden celtic digital age.
Broadband rollout is a joke in this country.

Definetly use Firefox. Also use something simple and not flashy for your homepage, www.google.ie should be ok.

Back