Advantages/disadvantages of a 19" widescreen monitor

Becca

If purchasing a Dell desktop system two of the options concerning the monitor are to have either a standard 19" TFT monitor, or a 19" widescreen TFT monitor.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of a 19" widescreen over a standard 19" monitor?

Which would you opt for? Is the widescreen simply the better option?

There's no point skimping on monitors if you're going to be spending any amount of time in front of one.

I've a 19" at home and at work and I'm seriously considering getting a bigger one :)

Check the specs on their site - it could be a difference in viewable area and resolution..

Hi Becca,
I'd say go for the widescreen, I got one for work and its much easier on the eye. The reason the widescreen's are popular is due to the more relax reading style that the eye/brain needs i.e. left to right rather than top down. If you get it you'll not be sorry,... its nice to have the widescreen. If its Dell as opposed to any other manufacture then that's a different conversation.

Thanks, was thinking of buying a complete desktop package from Dell so yes it'd be a Dell monitor.

If its Dell as opposed to any other manufacture then that's a different conversation.
What do you mean?

I suppose what I was eluding at was the varying technical specs that different manufactures offer, but that's really only worth worring about if its for more serious photographic or movie work. For you and me and nearly everyone else, Dell's monitors should be just fine - possibly not the highest spec but good for most people. Enjoy.

Back