Advantage of full NCB car insurance

Logo

Car insurance is due next month. Comprehensive covered by AA insurance with step back policy. Male, with 20+ years no claims, last year premium was €550 + €96 breakdown cover.

Value €10K
Three penalty points
Fully comprehensive cover
Step back protection
Driving other cars
Personal belongings cover
Locks & alarms covered
Multifuel cover
Legal fees
Fire brigade
Breakdown cover (€96 extra)
- which brings the cost to approx €650 (last year).

I noticed a huge increase in car insurance last year (and had to go from full NCB to step-back) and again a big increase this year. Any ideas on how I can I reduce my premium?
Thanks

Whats the difference between step back and full protection.

You don't really need the legal fees cover, if its an extra (DAS/MIS) as they really will only deal with claims where you are in the right. They may cover criminal fees (driving offences).

How old is the car/ Do you need breakdown cover? If a new car, many manufacturers provide this cover. Other insurers provide it free.

Full NCB protection allows for not more than two claims over three years (excluding windscreen cover). Step back bonus will impact next years premium.
Legal aid - not sure.
The car is 8 years old so breakdown cover might be needed. AA insurance don't provide breakdown cover (as they have a separate dept for AA breakdown cover - cost €96 extra).
I tried to switch insurers last year but most wouldn't quote or were excessive.

The difference in premium between what you are being asked to pay and what you would pay without protected NCD and with protect NCD is the extra cost. How much is that, and is it worth the benefit having a protected NCD?

Last edited:
I'm not fully convinced on the benefit of NCB protection (but I still have it because it didn't cost me much).

Just read all the terms attached to the protected NCB. Sometimes there's a limit to the amount of the claim you can make before you lose it anyhow.

Another thing to watch out for - if you are unfortunate to have an accident, the NCB only applies with your current insurer. You have to declare the claim to other insurers. Also, even with your own insurer, they generally load the premium, and then apply the full discount, so you're still paying extra. It's not really as good as it sounds, so read the small print.

You'll get breakdown cover a lot cheaper than that. A policy with home start will cost you more - a high percentage of call outs are for flat batteries in the driveway. Also, if you don't intend to bring the car abroad, you don't need UK cover. I'm assuming both are covered for the 96 premium?

Thanks for the replies. - Yes both driveway & UK travel are covered (and not needed) in the €96 - the car is 2009 - so only basic breakdown cover is needed. I've searched the AA website but can only find Roadside Rescue which is now €99 - and includes Home Start. Are there other companies offering basic breakdown cover?
Thanks.

I think most of the major insurers provide an option. My is included in my insurance so I've never bought separately.

Here's an example from Allianz. Price 'from' 36

Back