Advanced Swimming Lessons

WarrenBuffet

Hi,

Although i spent years learning to swim growing up I feel my technique is nothing short of atrocious now. No matter how fit i am or how hard I try a 14 year old girl can still pass me out after about 5 lengths of the pool!!!!

I would really like to do a course for adults where an instructor works on my swimming technique.......teaches you how to do the front crawl properly and efficiently etc.

Have looked a few places up on-line but am not getting closer to finding an instructor - could anyone here point me in the right direction / give me a recommendation? I live on the south side of dublin, half way between Blackrock and Ballsbridge

Thanks,
WB

Would you consider joining a masters swimming club? You'd be with people of a similier age and would get excellent technique coaching.

Take a DART to Tara St. The Markievicz Leisure Centre on Townsend St. offers a set of 8 improvers lessons for €65. The next course starts in a couple of weeks. About 10 people per class (falling to about 8 by week 3!). I took them and they were excellent. 1 lesson per week over 8 weeks, Monday Tuesday or Thursday at 8pm.

They also do 1-to-1 lessons for about €35 for a 40-45 minute lesson. Time & day to suit you.

Newpark sports and fitness centre also run classes from beginners to advanced. I know the intermediate classes concentrate on breathing technique and proper stroke technique......

[broken link removed]

Glenalbyn run swimming lessons that range from improvers to advanced. I did them a couple of months ago and found them great for improving technique. They go on for 8 weeks and cost 75E (approx.). On the first night they ask you to swim a width of the pool and then allocate you to a group based on how good/bad you are. Then they split up the pool for the different groups.

I'll be going back again when the evenings get shorter, would recommend it.

C

You can get 1on1 coaching as well as classes in Westwood gym in leopardstown. And I dont think you have to be a member for those.

you could also try http://www.totalimmersion.co.uk/wkshps-register.html its expensive for a weekend workshop but it helped me to start swimming relatively efficiently. The workshop actually takes place in the Newpark swimming pool which should be nearby for you

I had done the adult swimming lessons in the past but just found the class numbers too big and the way of teaching not informative enough. Saying that not everyone was happy with the workshop but it helped me out alot.

If the workshop is too expensive try one of their dvd's or books, I was able to get the book in my local library. It gives you 6-8 drills to practice and concentrate on, which eventually build on each other to do whole stroke swimming.

Back