Adults & birthdays

TarfHead

I read this article and found myself in agreement with the following ..

"Landmark anniversaries aside, there is something slightly sad about anybody over the age of about 25 needing their birthday to be acknowledged by anyone beyond immediate family."

So maybe it's not just me, or maybe it's just her and me, but I find the behaviour of some adults incomprehensible when it comes to their birthdays.

Why the need for celebration ? This is not the Middle Ages - managing to have avoided death for a year is not an achievement.

:confused:

I'll be celebrating my 29th birthday this year and fully intend to do as I always do and have a right hooley for it. Reason being, it's not a celebration of being a year older (God forbid!) but its a great way to get people together. In this day and age we as a group of old friends who are by now spread around the country rarely get to all meet up and when its my birthday its a good way to force people to set aside a night so we can all catch up as a group, as opposed to merely passing on info about each other.

"Landmark anniversaries aside, there is something slightly sad about anybody over the age of about 25 needing their birthday to be acknowledged by anyone beyond immediate family."

So maybe it's not just me, or maybe it's just her and me, but I find the behaviour of some adults incomprehensible when it comes to their birthdays.

I agree.

It's even worse when some "adults" drag the whole thing out so that celebrations include 2 or 3 days both preceeding and succeeding the actual birth date.

I read this article and found myself in agreement with the following ..

Why the need for celebration ? This is not the Middle Ages - managing to have avoided death for a year is not an achievement.

:confused:

One of my in-laws hasn't spoken to me for a year because we were on holidays at the time of her recent 40th birthday, the same girl wouldn't come out and see our new house years ago when we moved in, because I had forgotten to send her a birthday card, (her birthday was the same week that we moved into our house - so I forgot!). I think only direct relatives i.e you mam/dad/husband should have to think about your birthday - for everyone else, a simple 'happy birthday' should suffice. There's something very needy about older people demanding attention on the birthdays!

Last edited:
well guess who won't be invited to my three day event birthday party?, we are going have clowns and everything:p

Will there by ice-cream??????????........................ I take it all back now, can I come? :eek:

My 60th is coming up shortly. Something is going on ........ judging by the aborted phone calls/monosyallabic answers/quick laugh when I enter the lounge etc. I just pretend that I don't get it! After a lifetime of refusing any kind of celebrations ........... she knows that I'm looking forward to this one. As I've seen a couple of unrecogniseable calls to the (068) code area then I would presume that it is a hotel in The Kingdom. But the word is Mum ........ and hopefully the CC is her's as well!;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah sure we all know about that one! - everybody at AAM was sent an email invitation! :) Some of us have agreed to be stripograms for the evening - even Clubman volunteered!

crikey! Who doesn't love celebrating birthdays!!! (well obviously apart from Tarfhead.....)

A good old birthday bash is one of the few occassions when me and my friends all manage to meet up together - I always really look forward to them!

If I didn't enjoy them and felt, like Tarfhead, that surviving the past year was celebration enough for people, then I just wouldn't go or acknowledge it.
Praise the lord I don't have that outlook on life though or I'd be reaching for the anti-depressants.

Last edited:
My 60th is coming up shortly. Something is going on ........ judging by the aborted phone calls/monosyallabic answers/quick laugh when I enter the lounge etc. I just pretend that I don't get it! After a lifetime of refusing any kind of celebrations ........... she knows that I'm looking forward to this one. As I've seen a couple of unrecogniseable calls to the (068) code area then I would presume that it is a hotel in The Kingdom. But the word is Mum ........ and hopefully the CC is her's as well!;)

Either that or your wife is having an affair :D prepare to be surprised whatever happens ;)

I love Birthdays. Mine is on Tuesday. I'm going for pizza and then bowling with the men in my life, (hubby and son)
Next year I'm having a 'landmark' B'day and the fabulous party I'm throwing has already been in the planning for 6 months.

my extended family realized a few years ago we only seemed to see each other at funerals so now we make sure we make the effort for birthdays. I think it's a great idea ! If you have that sort of attitude your friends may be glad you don't turn up!

Make sure to enjoy every one of your birthdays because none of us know which one is our last, health is wealth. Lookin' forward to mine comin' up shortly - well this is the age of Aquarius

[broken link removed]

Back