Adult Swimming Lessons Dublin

JohnJay

Any suggestions for adult swimming lessons in Dublin? Possibly one-to-one?

Suitable for a middle-aged man who floats like a cannon ball!!

Hi John, I'll put up my hand and say there's nothing better than one-to-one swimming lessons from a good instructor. However, Covid is still at large and picking up a one-to-one instructor might be difficult.

But, not to send you away empty handed (and I'm heading too fast to my seventieth birthday). Up to a year ago I thought I could swim doing a starfish breast-stroke and useless slow doggie paddle (my mouth and eyes never getting wet). Bottom line was that I could not swim. I could float. Swimming pools were near empty during Covid and so I used to go daily to the pool, look stupid splashing around. swimming in god knows what direction, unable to breathe effectively, getting exhausted after three strokes, filling my stomach with chlorinated water until I nearly turned green. I panicked on occasions and wondered how to relieve distress. Nightly (and sometimes just before leaving for the swimming pool) I used Youtube. It was unbelieveably helpful and I took each instruction one at a time (I didn't buy flippers, but used to use a pool-buoy (floatable swimming aid).

Have no doubt. Mine was a chastening experience, but I had time on hands and usually a near empty pool. I think I hit off every pool user and accidentally gave a right-cross (Muhommad Ali would of been proud of) to a lady who was not too pleased. But, follow the easy instructions on (i) how to breathe in the water (ii) where to place your arm on your first front crawl effort (iii) how to use your head in the water (iv) the important swivel (v) how to keep your fingertips aimed to the bottom of the pool at all times (vi) arm entry and recovery of the arms (vii) proper kicking technique (vii) how to apologise when you nearly decapitate some innocent pool user.

Take out membership of your local hotel swimming pool facility (it ain't cheap) go five days of the week. Learn from your mistakes (most important) and drive on even though it's cold outside. You won't be a Mark Spitz overnight, but you'll enjoy your experiences and probably make a new friend or two. You might even meet me in the jacuzzi.

Once you get over your hand must always be below your elbow, and your elbow below your shoulder you're half way there - just put it into practice.

Go for it and enjoy! (you'll become fitter almost immediately and lose some weight too). For the record now that I can swim 1500 metres freestyle every morning (now including tumble turns, a technique I recently learned) I can say with confidence that most swimming pool users can't swim more than a bad breast-stroke and certainly no decent front crawl.

Nearly forgot:- Buy yourself a pair of GAA shorts from your local club, get a Paul Mescal gold chain; the rest is easy. It's all about appearance .

Last edited:
My mother learned to swim when she was in her 50's in Cheeverstown just beside Templeogue Bridge.

Back