Motor Admin fee for Temporary Sub on Car Insurance

MandaC

I am with 123.ie, insured with travellers. I wanted to borrow a car for a few days and phoned to make the temporary substitution. They advised me that there is a 10 admin charge every time this is done. I was previously with One Direct and had no such charge for changing vehicle details for a short while. Girl from 123.ie explained that this was their broker fee. Anyone else come across this?

Yes, common enough, but make sure you inform 123.ie in writing; I found they had a tendency to mess up details like reg nos, start and finish dates / times, policy numbers, etc.

123.ie issue their charges for mid-term changes in their terms of business and that goes out with all renewal notices and new business schedules. some of the charges are relly high (i think) and can gobble up any initial premium saving with them

always important to read the fine print really closely

Not with 123.ie, but recently had to pay 32.50 admin fee to make a permanent transfer of my car insurance to my new car!

was that €32.50 an admin fee or the cost of changing the policy onto a differnet car? (policy rates take into account engine cc, vehicle type/group, age adn in some cases value)

Thanks Greenie, the person on the phone specifically said there was no change to the cost of insurance, but that there was a fee for making the transfer.

I did it online for free with Hibernian last year, they even posted out a new insurance cert and disc to cover the 4 hours.

its one of the little things that can happen, especially if you buy on price alone. There are many other little benefits with insurers, when you deal direct. brokers need to recoup costs and charge for services such as this.

I remember cancelling a policy for a relative who died, to be faced with a broker chaarge. Since then, I have dealt directly with the Insurance companies.

I think that all individuals should be able to deal with private motor insurance, with no need for a broker. Business/life policies are different.

Back