Case study Addressing my worst fear:belongings being thrown out by Landlord

Kai123

Hello,

I rent a room and live with my landlord in a smallish apartment. We get on well but he is a little unhinged and has acted very rash before.

The chance of this happening is so slim but its my worst fear: having my belongings thrown out after a dispute (last argument was that he got airborne food poisoning the day after I baked some pork).

I am fairly sure I am not registered, so might peruse this but am not really willing to rock the boat living with a landlord who might act out in a rash manner.

So, preparing for the worst possible outcome, I assume that if my belongings were outside after coming home from work, this would be bought up as a civil case? Could I ring the Guarda? If anything is broken, would home insurance of some kind cover this for a room-share?

Like I said, the landlord is good. The rent is fairly low as well so I cant complain. I am a good tenant, make myself small and do not get in the way.

If anyone can shed any light on this, It would really help me settle in more.

Kai.

Why sit there waiting for trouble? Find somewhere else to live.

Your belongings will not be insured under the household insurance policy. The Gardai won't intervene as its a civil matter (lets assume the best and there's no assault).

Best of luck with a civil case...cost you twice as much as any belongings you might have.

As a tenant where the owner is also resident, you effectively have the legal status of a guest and can be asked to leave at any time. There is no requirement for the home owner to 'register' you as a tenant; in fact I dont think the PRTB system deals with rent-a-room tenancies.

As I say, why have the worry..peace of mind is worth any price.

As Thirsty says, you are NOT a tenant - you are a lodger or licensee with really no rights. If you refer to tenant, it gives the impression (as you seem to believe from your comment that you are not registered with the PRTB.
The only thing you are possibly entitled to is a reasonable notice period if the landlord asks you to leave; in general it is understood that a reasonable period is the same as your rent period. However, reasonable really depends on the situation and if the landlord is really unhappy with you he may ask you to leave with immediate effect.

You, as a Licensee cannot be registered with the PRTB as you do not have a tenancy but a (verbal) licensee agreement. Licensee agreements are rarely written agreements. This is basically anything the landlord told you before you moved in. He is entitled to add or modify his rules at any time. Also, he is entitled to enter your room as a licensee does not have exclusive use of any part of the property.

Back