Additional Refuse Charge for Lift of Compost Bin

Leper

I think the new €3.80 additional charge per "lift" is justifiable. For most households this will mean an extra €100 approx per year in payment. I didn't anticipate the charge, but last year I added an extra compost bin to my two already in action. The 3rd compost bin was for household "vegetable" waste along with used Barrys Tea Bags etc. Potato skins etc were pretty slow to decompose and I sourced some chicken-dung free from a nearby hatchery which greatly speeded up the process and also the quality of the compost - this can be bought in pelleted form in Dealz. Furthermore, (while I'm not a 'green' warrior) I found the process will save me a few bob in future purchases of supermarket/garden-centre compost and have the additional bin as a useful back up to our gardening needs.

I got an email from Panda the other day outlining changes to how they are going to charge for my refuse service in the DLRCC area
they are moving from a lift and weight charge to a monthly charge

"Your Service plan for the coming year effective 1st May 2023 is outlined below:

Monthly Service Charge €17.50
Monthly General Waste Allowance 35Kg
General Waste Excess per Kg €0.30
Recycling Allowance Unlimited
Compost Allowance Unlimited

This is a change from your current price plan which we believe will make for a far easier way to manage and use our service. However, if this plan does not suit your needs, we do have others available."

Currently I spend somewhere in or around €185 a year, so there will be a small yearly increase of €25 but I'll now be able to put my bins out each week and will now again be putting glass back into the recycling bin rather then bringing up to a bottle bank
They also are offering a second recycling or compost bin at no extra charge which will be a godsend for all the garden waste that Mrs C generates between spring and autumn

We are DLRCC and we got a different 'offer' from them (but the same! :) ). I worked out last year at 184 and now proposed plan is 210 euro given that we are a small household and compost our own veg peelings etc.

Quarterly Service Charge €52.50
Quarterly General Waste Allowance 105Kg
General Waste Excess per Kg €0.30
Recycling Allowance Unlimited
Compost Allowance Unlimited

I did not realise Panda took glass along with other recycling materials?

Does your collector allow glass in the recycling bin? Ours certainly does not. Nor do any local competitors.

@Cervelo : "I'll now be able to put my bins out each week and will now again be putting glass back into the recycling bin rather then bringing up to a bottle bank"

Does your collector allow glass in the recycling bin? Ours certainly does not. Nor do any local competitors.

@Cervelo : "I'll now be able to put my bins out each week and will now again be putting glass back into the recycling bin rather then bringing up to a bottle bank"
Yes Panda in the DLRCC area always took glass, I only stopped putting glass in the green bin when they started to weigh and charge for it
In fact I seem to remember a couple of years ago panda been on the news stating that they now accept glass in the green bin???

It seems crazy to mix broken glass .... only gets smashed going into the lorry. How can it be salvaged? I can understand metal with magnet extraction but am not convinced anything else is dealt with properly. In UK my mother has six separate bins/boxes/bags to put out of waste.

It seems crazy to mix broken glass .... only gets smashed going into the lorry. How can it be salvaged?
Waste separation has come a long way over the years, there are a number of licensed recovery facilities across the country that separate out the green waste with a mix of automated and manual sorting. They also separate the contents of the black bins with food waste being diverted to digestors and metals diverted for recycling.

Back