Additional Contribution to PRSA

lane

Hi,
I'd be grateful for any advice on the following..
I started contributing to a PRSA in December 2008 having started working in my present job in July 2008. I was not working Jan to June 2008. I contributed the max possible (15%) of salary (60K) for my age (29) to obtain the available tax relief.
I now have some spare cash and was thinking of making an additional contribution to my PRSA.
I've read that you can make contributions to a PRSA upto 31 October 2009 for the year 2008.
Can I..
1. make an additional contribution to my PRSA for 2008?
2. claim tax relief on the additional contribution?
3. how much can I contribute?
4. how do I claim the tax relief?

Hi Lane

The max you can contribute to a pension (AVC or employee contributions) is 15% of what you earned in 2008. If you have already done this for 2008 you can't make any additional contributions. If however you were below the 15% threshold you have until the 31st October to make a contribution to bring you up to the 15% of which you can claim full tax relief in your tax return.

Hope that helps

"4. how do I claim the tax relief? "

When you receive your policy documents included therein will be a certificate enabling you to claim tax relief.

Meant to say you send the PRSA 1 Certificate (sent to you with your policy documents) to the tax office. To claim your PRSI relief you send a copy of the cert to the revenue in limerick

Back