Adding links to website

D1983

When my site is up and running and i want to add links of places that relate to my business or that would be useful do i need to get permission from these other websites/businesses?

At the very least it would be polite to ask. Also check the terms & conditions of the relevant sites in case they outline their policy on such linking.

At the very least it would be polite to ask. Also check the terms & conditions of the relevant sites in case they outline their policy on such linking.
That's certainly the nicest thing to do.

When I do it, I don't ask permission. I link, but open the other person's site in an new window (target=_blank) making it very clear that I'm not taking credit for their work or product.

'Page jacking' or 'screen-scraping' is something I don't do, though.

Check ryanairs T & C's - they don't even allow links to the site without prior written consent. And we all know how they feel about screen scraping...most sites are less extreme. In fact discouraging links goes against a fundamental tenet of the interweb.

The more links to a site the higher the search rankings, the more it is visited etc so generally works well for all concerned.

Check ryanairs T & C's - they don't even allow links to the site without prior written consent. And we all know how they feel about screen scraping...most sites are less extreme. In fact discouraging links goes against a fundamental tenet of the interweb.

The more links to a site the higher the search rankings, the more it is visited etc so generally works well for all concerned.
The Irish Independent/Unison site T&Cs used to (and maybe still do) also preclude linking to anything other than their home page without written permission!

Back