Life Adding health info to life assurance application?

Liath

Hi all,

quick question - we've filled out the medical info for our life assurance policy to cover our mortgage. Assurance hasn't gone through yet, since we haven't bought the house just yet. However, the forms are sent off.

I now remember that I forgot to mention one more ailment in the application form (another bloodtest I've had, not resulting in any diagnosis, but you never know how these insurance companies will play it should we ever need to claim).

Can I simply contact them with the additional info, or will this cause trouble at trhis stage, for non-disclosure?

And since I really don't know what my GP has on file regarding my health (seriously, who remembers everything you've ever had, healthwise?), especially if there were tests that didnt actually result in anything - rather excluding conditions, would it not be the easiest to ask him for a printout, and send it to the insurer, to cover all bases?

Any pointers welcome!
Liath

This needs to be disclosed. Simple send the information on a piece of paper along the lines of "the above statement is to be added to the proposal of first name, second name, date of birth, proposal form dated 06/12/09" and sign and date.

You could always call the insurer to see if they received the original proposal form and whether an unique proposal number has been allocated to your proposal form. This number then can be added to your letter. It is imperative to make sure that the insurance company has received and taken into consideration the proposal amendment form that you sent in.

If you are dealing with a broker, he/she will deal with same.

Make sure you disclose absolutely everything - there was a documentary on TV yesterday evening with a lady in the UK who had breast cancer and was turned down by her insurer under this non-disclosure clause as she hadn't disclosed that she had treatment, lasting only a few months, for post-natal depression following the birth of her child some years previously.

The insurance companies are happy to take your money, but are looking for all sorts of reasons to get out of paying claims.

The insurance companies as mentioned by dlgirl are more than happy to take your money.
Think of it like telling a car insurance that you have a standard car--but its a twin turbo.

They will not ask anything unless you have to claim.
Then the contract is null and void.
I would disclose everything and even if you think of something else that you think they should know in the future disclose it.

Back