Add memory to computer?

Ash

Can anyone tell whether it is possible to add additional memory to a Dell Dimension 4550 - about 5 or 6 years old?

I don't know much about computers but the hard drive is pretty near full. The computer is mainly used for light home office tasks, internet, some music and plenty of photographs. I regularly use the disk cleanup.

The C: drive currently shows capacity 55.84GB; Free Space 6.59GB; Free Space 11%

Can anyone tell from the information given whether it is possible to buy and install extra memory to the system? - without being too complicated to do and without any loss to content already on the drive.

With the BIOS upgrade it should be possible to fit 2 x 1GB SDRAMs for a max of 2GB in total. Manufacturers and compatible SDRAM DIMMs are listed.

Installing RAM should have no effect on your drive (unless you use a hammer)

I know they mention extra memory but from the OP it sounds like they are actually asking about extra disk space and not extra RAM/memory. In that case it is as easy as buying an external drive from somewhere like PC World/Peats etc. Would cost from about €85 upwards depending on the size.

Example here: [broken link removed]

It is important to check the connections on your computer so that they match those on the external hard drive i.e. USB or Firewire 400 or Firewire 800. Then it is simply a case of plugging it in!

Can anyone tell whether it is possible to add additional memory to a Dell Dimension 4550 - about 5 or 6 years old?

I don't know much about computers but the hard drive is pretty near full. The computer is mainly used for light home office tasks, internet, some music and plenty of photographs. I regularly use the disk cleanup.

The C: drive currently shows capacity 55.84GB; Free Space 6.59GB; Free Space 11%

Can anyone tell from the information given whether it is possible to buy and install extra memory to the system? - without being too complicated to do and without any loss to content already on the drive.

you could make a image of you existing drive using a programme such as acronis the copy this image to the new larger drive the remove the old drive and replace with new drive if you try this make sure you get the right interface type ie, sata or ide

Back