Adamstown, new town near Lucan

A

aps

Hi There,

I am thinking of buying a house in Adam'stown,new town near Lucan.

I have few queries:
  1. What would be the rates for 3/4 bed houses (semi D's) ?
  2. Can we cope with the traffic? Is commuting by train the only solution.
  3. Are the train service already in place?
  4. Do you think - there will be high demand for this development?
  5. How long does it take to go city centre by bus? ( Or even Lucan during peak hrs)
Thanks a million.........

Adamstown- another nightmare waiting to happen!

Beware, i expect that the 'new town' may become a bit similar to other towns that were developed in the past and experienced 'teething' problems- unfinished estates, no amenities, no civic spirit etc.

The promoters of Adamstown are investigating significant cash in marketing and P.R. for their development- so note the hype and aspirational style and tone of releases and reports.

If i was you i would invest my hard earned cash in a more established area like Lucan itself. Most estates have been built for over 10 years and you can see if they are still good? In virtually all cases- they are- prices are reasonable- from c. 300,000 for a 3 bed semi

Best wishes with the search

Re: Adamstown

I appreciate all you are saying Brian, but I don't know if I would dismiss it so easily.
The positives are:
1. Developers have an excellent reputation.
2. Train station in the town (which is not dependant on services from further out (Kildare?), as they have a turntable type thing.
3. It will have it's own access to M50, ie not dependant on the N4/N8
4. The development in common with all new developments can only proceed once a certain level of amenities are in place.

Negatives:
1. It's new, and we all know that historically there have always been teething problems in such developments.
2. It would'nt want to be too modern, that can date quickly
3. Lack of community, ready made facilities etc.

Undoubtedly there are many more points on both sides of the argument, but to me it may be a better buy than Lucan because, it has the transport angle sorted in terms of train and not having to use the N4. In addition, I've been told (but don't know for certain) that Lucan's biggest problem was the ad-hoc nature of development, and the provision of facilities has not kept up with the number of houses built. I'm open to correction from anyone with actual knowledge of this.

Re: Adamstown- another nightmare waiting to happen!

BrianDublin said:
If i was you i would invest my hard earned cash in a more established area like Lucan itself. Most estates have been built for over 10 years and you can see if they are still good? In virtually all cases- they are- prices are reasonable- from c. 300,000 for a 3 bed semi

You wont find any decent 3 bed in a good estate these days in lucan for less than 350k.

Also, the traffic commuting to city centre from lucan isnt that bad, its the same as anywhere else in dublin.

Adamstown should be a good buy if your house is within a handy walk of the train station. If the technology campus or whatever it is gets built over in clondalkin (supposed to suppy 2000 jobs) then Admastown will beomce quite popular for renters.

There is NO train station

AFAIK this is supposed to be completed in the first phase, hence it will be pretty easy to tell if it's realistic or not, I can't see that it won't as this whole project has got a lot of high level political support.

Aido said:
There is NO train station in or near Adamstown or Lucan. There is currently NO infrastructure to support Adamstown.

You are right, not yet, but planned for phase 1 I believe.

Thanks guys...
I was also told the area of the house,front driveway & back garden, will be much smaller than Lucan!
Generally 3/4 bedrooms are between 1100 & 1400 sq feet isn't it?
Is there utility room and/or attic in Lucan houses.

I've also heard, these houses are hot cakes in the market.

Any input will be appreciated!!!!

Thanks.

If you check out the Adamstown site, or I think SDCC site ,it outlines how the place is being built in phases and the developers have to have certain infrastructures ie schools train stations etc, in place before they can go on to the next phase (so they say).

Yes most 4 bed houses in Lucan have utility rooms although the size varies from estate to estate.
The builders must be making a fortune from doing attic conversions in Lucan, they seem to be two a penny now!
The gardens in Adamstown must be tiny then if they are smaller than Lucan. The reason why I moved from Lucan was because the back garden was so small there was no real room to extend without gobbling up the garden.

There is only one slight problem with the Adamstown development. Parking. There is only going to be parking for 300 cars at the train station and there is not much off street parking with the high density housing.

But if it's high density nobody will be overly far from the station thus no need to take the car!!

Guys,

I heard Queuing is going on... Do you thing - it's got potential?

Will it be sold-out on the launching day?

Pls post your views.

Thanks

If its of any help Adamstown has its own website [broken link removed]. The info on the SDCC site is Perhaps a call to the Planning Dept. might give more advice.

Aps,

As in other parts of Dublin I believe in the future Houses will become more desirable, as they will be limited in supply and people with children will probably prefer gardens over apartment balconies.

I think a house in a good part of lucan will do better than a new apartment in Adamstown.

I agree with that. Having lived in appartmens and now in a house I would never go back. All that going up and down stairs\lifts, walking up and down to the car park, paying overpriced "management fees", having no garden, way smaller living spaces.....no thanks!

I live in Lucan for the last 5 years an take a bus (Mortons one - it is a private company, i.e. comfortable seats, always on time, does not stop at every stop into town like 25A/X). The journey in the morning is 40 - 60 minutes to Baggot street and the same in the evenings.

I tried driving and it was taking me well over an hour.
Hope this helps.

Back