Acquiring IP Address - Not happening

BobbyFowler

I've got a wireless network set up at home. I was in Italy recently & had my laptop with me. The hotel I was staying in had a wireless network. My laptop would connect to the network but would spend forever trying to acquire an ip address. It would never get this. There were other people using it, so the problem must have been on my side. I'm off to the US next week for two weeks & have my laptop with me. Any idea what setting change will get me around this problem?

Sounds like you dont have obtain an IP automatically turned on.

You need to select the network you are trying to connect to.

so wireless status --> Properties --> highlight 'Internet protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)' and then select properties.

Ensure that the option 'Obtain an IP address automatically' is selected.

Press ok.

You should do the same steps for 'Internet protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)'
You may need to restart but that should do the trick.

I've got a wireless network set up at home. I was in Italy recently & had my laptop with me. The hotel I was staying in had a wireless network. My laptop would connect to the network but would spend forever trying to acquire an ip address. It would never get this. There were other people using it, so the problem must have been on my side. I'm off to the US next week for two weeks & have my laptop with me. Any idea what setting change will get me around this problem?
As mentioned above, enabling DHCP is one step, but if your laptop works happily at home and you didn't configure it then for static addressing, I'm not sure if that's the problem (DHCP is normally on by default).

Do you have a software firewall? Maybe it was blocking. You don't mention if you were using Vista or XP.

Other possibility is that the network required a passphrase and you didn't have one.

Other possibility is that the network required a passphrase and you didn't have one.
+1

All hotels (I needed wifi in) operate on a reception supplied pass key.

I actually have the "assign IP address automatically" ticked.
There was a password set up in the hotel - I had it enterered correctly.
I'm using Windows XP.
I'm fairly sure I've connected to wireless networks in the area in the past.
On the Firewall side of things - I never specifically went in and prohibited anything so not sure if that could be the problem.

Other possibility is that the hotel's network was a bit saturated. Lots of people downloading movies maybe. Also, cheap routers usually have capacity problems with too many DHCP requests or just don't have enough addresses to hand out.

It's possible but rare, for a computer's WiFi adaptor to be incompatible with a WiFi router.

Once you've ticked the right boxes, WiFi usually just works.

Back