Acer ripoff

Joe Nonety

I think the use of the word "ripoff" is warranted.
I bought an Acer laptop less than a year ago and the power connection at the back has got loose and the laptop keeps switching to battery power even with the power connection in fully. It's obvious to me it'll get worse and worse up until the point that the power connection will eventually fail completely.
I rang Acer support and they say that it's been happening too often and that it was too expensive to fix so they've decided not to cover it under warranty.
Is this legal?
Can you imagine BMW having a problem with their engines that was costing a fortune to repair and so to solve the problem they just decide that the engine was no longer covered under warranty?

I rang Acer support and they say that it's been happening too often and that it was too expensive to fix so they've decided not to cover it under warranty.
I don't get this - did they mean that it was happening to you, the individual, too often or that it was happening too often on that particular product?

Did you read the terms of their warranty? Does it allow them to do this? If you bought the laptop less than a year ago can you claim against them under Consumer protection legislation (ie unfit for purpose)? Can you bring it back to the place where you bought it and demand it is fixed or they refund you the current value?

On the face of it it does seem to be a bit strange that Acer would just say "feck off"!

I had a problem with dell in regard to a broken laptop out of warranty

After some persistence, and mentioning the small claims court, they repaired it free of charge

I also googled the problem and found that there were class actions ongoing in US and Canada in relation to the fault

ConsumerConnect might be able to apprise you of your statutory rights in this situation with regard to the manufacturer/seller (I presume you bought directly from Acer?) seemingly varying the terms & conditions of the warranty unilaterally. Have you read the terms & conditions yourself?

Back