Accused of not paying

sully

Hi There,

Mrs sully and I was accused in a hostelry of not paying a bill by a waitress. However I had all my receipts (for a round of drinks) and then the waitress said she would check on it. However about 15 minutes later we saw same waitress leaving the place and not saying a word to us. We then enquired with the manager what was happening and obviously looking for an apology, which he refused to giveus as he said that he didn't know the situation or can't apologise for the waitress involved as he doesn;'t know her side of the story

I gave the manager my number for him or the waitress to ring me to offer an apology. I have heard nothing since.

would i be mad to follow up on this or should i just let it drop and not frequent this establishment again? Moreover what steps can i take to followup on this or is there anything at all i can do.

Personally i don't like being accused of these things and thought the manager's attitude was wrong. Obviously mrs sully was mortified and i was more annoyed by it.

I'd definitely follow up - See if you can find out when the waitress/manager are both on duty, so you can address it face to face with both (which will ensure 1 party doesn't blame the other).

If this happened in a public place and it was possible or indeed probable that other people/customers could over hear, then it is a case of defamation of character ( slander)- and you would have an even stronger case if it was local to you and either there were other people there who could or did know you.

I would write a strongly worded later seeking an explanation for the events and an unreserved apology. Send it by registered post.

Carpenter said:
I would write a strongly worded later seeking an explanation for the events and an unreserved apology. Send it by registered post.
I would use a solictor to write said strongly worded letter.

I expect that any reply would be sent "without predjuice".

Hi All thank you for your replies.

This happened in a public place in front of other customers who were sitting nearby, but we didn't know any of them. However it was unpleasant to be accused of it and i just thought the manager could have dealt with it better and been understanding of the issue. i will wait another day or two and see if any apology is coming, it only happened over the weekend.

However the manager did say that the waitress was new. I just thought it rude that she landed a bombshell like that and then walked off and said nothing else to us and then left the place without giving an apology.

I would have been happy with an apology and don't know how far i would take this. I suppose it would be a mattr of principle to take it further. i don't know if mrs sully would like to do that as i think she justs want to forget about it and try and prevent any further embarrassment if it went to court? even though she was totally innocent.

Best thing (IMHO) is just to avoid the place (not out of embarrassment, rather as a protest against of the way you were treated). Registered letters, solicitors, courts etc. cost money (and time)-is it worth it?

No harm in writing a letter letting the owner of the establishment know what you are doing and why you are doing it, i.e. because of the way you are treated.

local newspaper / radio station always worth a try ?

what part of the country are we talking about ?

Back