Accounting software for accountants

dublin66

I'm an accountant in practice and I prepare a small number of accounts for audit exempt companies (accounts in not my main business). I would estimate that I will be preparing 10 accounts for 10 companies in 2014.

Is anyone aware of reasonably priced software that would prepare accounts from nominal ledger to statutory and abridged accounts? Obviously the software will need to produce iXBRL accounts from 2015 as it will be necessary to file iXBRL accounts throught ROS for audit exempt companies from then.

I'm aware of Relate (which I've used and is very good) but is a bit expensive for the small number of accounts that I produce. To date for statutory and abridged accounts I've been using Excel which won't work anymore post iXBRL.

We have always used Sage Accounts Production.
It was purchased a few years ago and served its purpose well, however Sage have recently changed the software to a licenced product, making it very expensive, in our opinion.

We are trialling VT at the moment.
We love the bookkeeping element of the software - so much that all of our accounts prep is now done on it.
The final accounts module is also fantastic and very cheap, however it is geared to the UK market which is ok for sole traders, but it means for Companies, we need to amend the notes etc.
As it is excel based, it is simple to do and only needs to be done once.
VT can handle iXBRL also.

Thanks tomorrow.

I've looked at VT accounts and I really like the package too. The only problem with iXBRL is that the Irish Revenue have produced a separate taxonomy (yes it is a word) to the UK Revenue. They have basically taken the UK taxonomy and added a little bit more. Hence their iXBRL accounts output will probably not work from what I can see on the Revenue website.

I'd be delighted if I was wrong on the iXBRL point as it is a super price (STG£200) and a great product. Changing a few notes in the accounts wouldn't particularly bother me to save a good of money.

We are only trialling the final accounts package, and haven't got as far as iXBRL,
so indeed you could be right.
If you are - its a shame.

Back