Accounting apprenticeship or Accounting degree?

Erithié Kazimbe

Hi, I’m an 18 year old Leaving Cert student. I’ve always found accounting to be very interesting and enjoyable so I wanted to pursue a career in it. I found an apprenticeship by ATI for 2 years with a level 6 QQI Advanced certificate in accounting which will lead me to transfer to chartered accountants Ireland which is where I want to get to. Through this option I also gain 2 years experience in accounting whilst doing my apprenticeship, however, I’m worried that when I’m a chartered account will company’s be reluctant to hire me as I didn’t obtain a degree?

You are better off getting a degree.

Is ATI the Accounting Technicians? If you start with this, you will always be regarded as an accounting technician.

But the chartered exams are difficult. And if you don't pass them, you might regret not having the accounting technician qualification to fall back on.

Brendan

I'd do the apprenticeship and when finished decide what next.
There are a slew of professional accounting qualifications now, simply debit and crediting accounts is probably done by accounting software but the areas of financial planning, interpretation of accounts, management accounting, project accounting to name a few, are growing rapidly in all spheres of business but will require the understanding of balance sheets , P&L , cashflow which the ATI will provide.

I don't know how long a degree takes nowadays in my day (80s)it was 4 yrs for commerce then onto professional for another 2/3 , cant remember.

The apprenticeship also gives you real experience for 2 years and that's another consideration perhaps.

Other considerations would be working straight after school might be a bit of a drag , studying, attending classes and using holidays ,weekends for this can also be a drag.

Like everything in life decisions will have to be made that suits your life and ambitions, but you are still young enough to make incorrect decisions and recover.

Best of Luck

Last edited:
There are a few things to consider, for most people the best time of their life is in college, it’s not just about the degree it’s the whole experience and you grow your network as well.

It all depends what we are comparing here as well, where are you thinking of doing a degree ? Accountancy is a bit like law now, where you did your degree and where you did your training can have an outsized impact on your future career prospects.

There are a few things to consider, for most people the best time of their life is in college, it’s not just about the degree it’s the whole experience and you grow your network as well.

It all depends what we are comparing here as well, where are you thinking of doing a degree ? Accountancy is a bit like law now, where you did your degree and where you did your training can have an outsized impact on your future career prospects.
I was thinking on doing the degree at UCD

It's great that apprenticeships exist, I saw the Central Bank have a great one too that might be worth a look. But if you have the opportunity to go to college, then I would certainly advise that for the life experience alone. Especially if you can do Erasmus or work placement as part of it. And spend your summers working/travelling abroad if you can.

Either route though would lead to a successful career in accounting for a committed and talented person, it's not all about the big firms and one particular route into it. Do check the exemptions for the professional exams of the courses you are considering and the options within those courses before you decide. I would also say that having a background or mindset in accounting will almost always work to your advantage no matter what role you work in. Best of luck with your decision!

It's great that apprenticeships exist, I saw the Central Bank have a great one too that might be worth a look. But if you have the opportunity to go to college, then I would certainly advise that for the life experience alone. Especially if you can do Erasmus or work placement as part of it. And spend your summers working/travelling abroad if you can.

Either route though would lead to a successful career in accounting for a committed and talented person, it's not all about the big firms and one particular route into it. Do check the exemptions for the professional exams of the courses you are considering and the options within those courses before you decide. I would also say that having a background or mindset in accounting will almost always work to your advantage no matter what role you work in. Best of luck with your decision!
Thank you so much for this, very helpful

I saw the Central Bank have a great one too

I wouldn't advise anyone to train as an accountant in the Central Bank.

If they want banking or civil service type experience, that is fine. But it would be hard to transfer accounting experience from the Central Bank to another organisation - other than the public service.

Brendan

Options are far greater now than 30/40 years ago, which is great.

All other things be in equal a Ucd degree and big 4 training contract will be more beneficial than another route, it’s just the way it works.

All other things be in equal a Ucd degree and big 4 training contract will be more beneficial than another route, it’s just the way it works.

Fully agree.

Though it does not have to be a commerce degree. If you enjoy accounting, then go for it. But you could also study Economics or Greek and Roman Civilization.

Brendan

A person doesn't have to pursue ACA either theres ACCA, CPA, CIMA , names might have changed since my day and there are probably more " institutes" covering other accounting specific to industries..

A person doesn't have to pursue ACA either theres ACCA, CPA, CIMA , names might have changed since my day and there are probably more " institutes" covering other accounting specific to industries..
ACA is still the most ‘prestigious’ qualification, its the one I’d advise going for.

ACA is still the most ‘prestigious’ qualification, its the one I’d advise going for.
Heard that in the 80s too, and we all hear about the brilliance of the auditing of banks, Enron, in fact most financial scandals are attributed to the auditing by the big 4. Was Big 5 but when Arthur Andersen were caught essentially fiddling everything.

"Prestigious" indeed.

Your target is to become a fully qualified accountant. Firstly, assume you get a degree, check to see if it gives you any exemptions from accountancy exams or if there are specific modules or courses as part of your degree that will give you more exemptions.

Secondly, a commerce degree will give you a broader set of knowledge then just doing pure accountancy. That will be more of an attraction for a big accounting firm. Also, you may find you actually don't like accountancy as much as the other subjects ( I did) and your plans may change. A BComm will give you that flexibility

Bear in mind, that if you do end up working for a big firm, once you've passed your accounting exams, next stop will be a Masters, otherwise you'll be at a disadvantage against other people in the firm

Ditto on everything Peanuts said....

You might find these days that alot of firms now look beyond the typical business/finance degrees and look for well rounded employees with broader experiences from all walks of life. In a previous life my manager had a law degree and the fella sitting next to me right now has a degree in classical studies.....all accountants.....

If you have passions outside of finance, it would be an idea to look there first. It is very easy to do a 1 year taught masters conversion course to give you a leg up to start the journey to becoming a qualified accountant.

What Blackrock1 said.

Going to college is great fun. You are long enough working, so going to college for 3 years is a great experience and you will meet people who will be friends for life. Then apply to get into one of the Big 4 (or even the other big firms like GT or BDO) and get your qualification.

I have lots of successful clients working in different industries who are accountants by trade. A very worthwhile profession to be in.

Your target is to become a fully qualified accountant. Firstly, assume you get a degree, check to see if it gives you any exemptions from accountancy exams or if there are specific modules or courses as part of your degree that will give you more exemptions.

Secondly, a commerce degree will give you a broader set of knowledge then just doing pure accountancy. That will be more of an attraction for a big accounting firm. Also, you may find you actually don't like accountancy as much as the other subjects ( I did) and your plans may change. A BComm will give you that flexibility

Bear in mind, that if you do end up working for a big firm, once you've passed your accounting exams, next stop will be a Masters, otherwise you'll be at a disadvantage against other people in the firm
Generally if you are joining a big firm you will get the option of doing a masters in accounting before you join (or its how it used to work) sponsored by them. It means you are exempted all but the final exams so they get a few more months work out of you.

Back