Accountant - over complicating things

DoingMyBest

I am a full time PAYE worker. My wife has worked part time since 2006. I earn around 60k a year. Her earnings vary but they are around 10k a year after expenses. My wife paid no tax or PRSI since she started part time work. We went to an accountant to fix this up. We agreed to let our accountant act as our tax agent. Our accountant suggested that we assess jointly for tax, and that I should set myself up as my wife's employer. This would bring us into the lower tax band. We have received a large tax refund as a result of this. Our accountant has charged us a lot of money for this service. We have had to pay him up front in advance of any refund, which has been difficult for us.

I have a few worries. My wife has not been set up as having paid any PRSI and now comes in under class M. I would have preferred her to be set up under class S PRSI. I think my accountant is looking to make as much money as possible out of us and that is why he is doing things the way he is. Would it be easy for my wife just to do her own books in future and forget about this complicated arrangement ? We are afraid of a tax audit down the line. I also want to make sure that my wife pays PRSI so that she can get a pension down the line.

What would you do in my situation ?

First things first. Your wife cannot pay PRSI at S rate if she is employed by you. Class S is for self-employed plus a few others. I would run a mile from a money-grabbing proffessional. He should not have looked for money up front, bar,maybe a small deposit. If your wife is working for an employer other than you, then that employer would/should have made the appropriate deductions for PRSI & Tax. On an income of €10,000, there would be very little of either to be paid. If I were in your shoes, I would withdraw from that accountant asap. You can get all the info you require from your local tax office, and for free. They are very helpful. Also check out your wife's P60 forms for 2006/07/08/09 and bring them with you to the Tax Office. There is nothing mysterious about all this and I'm sure you will find the tax office most helpful. Have a look at the Revenue website and also the Welfare site. There's a mine of info on those sites.

First things first. Your wife cannot pay PRSI at S rate if she is employed by you. Class S is for self-employed plus a few others. I would run a mile from a money-grabbing proffessional. He should not have looked for money up front, bar,maybe a small deposit. If your wife is working for an employer other than you, then that employer would/should have made the appropriate deductions for PRSI & Tax. On an income of €10,000, there would be very little of either to be paid. If I were in your shoes, I would withdraw from that accountant asap. You can get all the info you require from your local tax office, and for free. They are very helpful. Also check out your wife's P60 forms for 2006/07/08/09 and bring them with you to the Tax Office. There is nothing mysterious about all this and I'm sure you will find the tax office most helpful. Have a look at the Revenue website and also the Welfare site. There's a mine of info on those sites.

Did you even read the OP's post?

The accountant didn't look for "money up front". The OP's complaining about the accountant looking for his fee in advance of the OP receiving his refund (when in fact the two things shouldn't be linked at all).

OP, I have to say I find your attitude perplexing. You engaged the services of an accountant. He tidied up the structure of your tax affairs which resulted in you receiving a "large refund". You'll clearly pay less tax for subsequent years also. Now you're moaning about having to pay him for what seems to have been good work. Does that not seem unreasonable to you?

I have to agree with Tentman.

Your wife cannot be employed by you. You say you are a PAYE worker, is your wife also a PAYE worker or is she self employed?

I really dont understand what your accountant has done, however, we only have one side of the story here.

I would advise that you consult either the revenue or get recommendations for another accountant who can check what has been done.

I have to agree with Tentman.

Your wife cannot be employed by you. You say you are a PAYE worker, is your wife also a PAYE worker or is she self employed?

I really dont understand what your accountant has done, however, we only have one side of the story here.

I would advise that you consult either the revenue or get recommendations for another accountant who can check what has been done.

There's clearly more to this than meets the eye. The OP may be a proprietary director of a limited company. Perhaps he would clarify?

There's clearly more to this than meets the eye. The OP may be a proprietary director of a limited company. Perhaps he would clarify?

Hi Pat. No, I am a PAYE worker. It's just me and my wife. She works for a religious organisation. She was a permanent member of staff but left in 2006. From that date on she has only worked occasionally, but has not paid tax or PRSI. I got involved with an accountant to try and get her tax and PRSI affairs up to date. We gave him authority to act as our tax agent. He then suggested the scheme whereby I am set up as my wife's employer. By paying my wife a salary, it reduces my income and pushes my tax liab to the lower rate. I am not grumbling about the tax refunds that we have received out of this. However, I am afraid of a tax audit, and not knowing how this will wash with the revenue. I am also unhappy that my wife is now designated as class M PRSI - with no pension entitlements, as a result of the way things have been done.

This seems very odd indeed.

How much did your accountant charge for this?

Did he put the proposed advice in writing? Did you understand it or did you just implement it blindly?

As an accountant set up this structure for you, if the Revenue are not happy with it, then you would have a case against the accountant.

If you are unsure about the advice put your concerns to him in writing and get his response in writing.

I agree with your overall heading. It's way too complicated for such a small amount of earnings. I would have thought that being jointly assessed would have achieved the same end result.

Brendan

Thanks Brendan. He is charging us €5k per year. We are getting revenue refunds of roughly double this per year.
We got everything in writing. It seemed like a good idea to us as it tidied up our affairs. I am not interested in making money from the revenue. We would be happy to tidy up the tax affairs, pay PRSI and just break even. We went into this a bit green if I am honest.

I think it's very generous of you to describe this as "overcomplicating" things.

You are entitled to the refunds anyway. You should not need to pay €5k a year to get them.

Brendan

Thanks Brendan. He is charging us €5k per year. We are getting revenue refunds of roughly double this per year.
We got everything in writing. It seemed like a good idea to us as it tidied up our affairs. I am not interested in making money from the revenue. We would be happy to tidy up the tax affairs, pay PRSI and just break even. We went into this a bit green if I am honest.

This does sound odd. Fair enough if they charged you for their time incurred in relation to sorting out your affairs. But there shouldn't be a €5K recurring charge. For basic annual compliance (with the figures you've cited) €1,000 + VAT a year would be the norm (it might even be on the high side).

Are you set up as some kind of self employed contractor now? It sounds like it. If your wife is "your employee" then in order for you to be entitled to a trading deduction for her salary, she's required to actually be doing something.

Again, this actually does all sound very odd.

I agree with the other posters.

I am finding it hard to believe that an accountant would charge so much for a very simple job.

It seems from what you have said that you are now registered as self employed. However your wife cannot be employed by you, which is why you are having the difficulty with the PRSI.

I suspect what should have happened was that your wife be registered as self employed and the two of you be jointly assessed which would have resulted in the refunds and a much much smaller bill.
This kind of job should cost a few hundred.

I would advise you to get someone independent to look at this. As I said above an accountant reccommended to you.

Hi,

You paid €5k to get your affairs sorted and get professional tax advice. It looks like you achieved both. Now you are free to move to another professional with this advice. Just because he is currently your tax agent does not mean you can't move to another tax agent (or that you have no tax agent and you do your returns yourself).

However, maybe the €5k was on the high side to start with, maybe you went to a very reputable tax professional who has a charge out rate to match. He should have being upfront about this however, did you sign a tax engagement letter? How is the fee calculation referred to on it? Is the fee stated? Did you even get a tax engagement letter?

I also wouldn't worry about a Revenue Audit - if he is your tax agent, has set up a structure for you and you have it in writing, you can pursue him for damages as a result of any negligent work he has done for you. So, keep all correspondence from him safely.

Hi Pat. No, I am a PAYE worker. It's just me and my wife. She works for a religious organisation. She was a permanent member of staff but left in 2006. From that date on she has only worked occasionally, but has not paid tax or PRSI. I got involved with an accountant to try and get her tax and PRSI affairs up to date. We gave him authority to act as our tax agent. He then suggested the scheme whereby I am set up as my wife's employer. By paying my wife a salary, it reduces my income and pushes my tax liab to the lower rate. I am not grumbling about the tax refunds that we have received out of this. However, I am afraid of a tax audit, and not knowing how this will wash with the revenue. I am also unhappy that my wife is now designated as class M PRSI - with no pension entitlements, as a result of the way things have been done.

How did you get a deduction for paying your wife a salary if you are a PAYE worker? Would be interesting to know what structure your accountant set up. Can you provide more details?

The Fee does sound high. Are you using one of the larger firms?

I don't pay my wife physically. It just shows as a salary on her books at the end of year and a deduction from my income. Yes. I have been using one of the larger firms. I think they do corporate stuff as well for other clients.

The theory behind it is interesting, are they treating the "payment" to your wife as a charge on your income?

The bad news, when dealing with the big 4, or even top 20, a 5K fee is considered low.

I don't pay my wife physically. It just shows as a salary on her books at the end of year and a deduction from my income. Yes. I have been using one of the larger firms. I think they do corporate stuff as well for other clients.

Can you tell us what type of deduction it is, I'd be interested to know how they structured this. Maybe the they are classifying it as a maintenance payment?

This just sounds too good to be true and for that reason I'd suggest getting a 2nd opinion from another tax professional. A simple issue jumps out straight away, if your marriage broke up, then in addition to any claim for maintenance, it would mean that your wife could be entitled to redundancy !!

Hi there,

This structure sounds very odd to me.

My understanding is that:

• You're 'just' a PAYE worker and not a self employed contractor or a proprietary director of your own limited company.
  • Your wife is a sole trader.
  • Your accountant has set up a structure whereby your wife is employed by you which is 'saving' you €10,000 per annum.
  • For the above, your accountant is charging you €5K per annum.
Is the above correct? Are you now registered as self employed and invoicing whoever she provides services to?

Back