Home Accidental Damage in House Insurance - worth it or not?

txirimiri

I am currently shopping around for quotes to as our house and contents insurance is up for renewal in the next few weeks. We currently have accidental damage included in our policy and I have noticed with the quotes I am getting that it is a good bit cheaper to get one without. This led me to read the list of exclusions on our current policy and it makes interesting reading! Basically, if I am reading it right (the wording is none too clear) the accidental damage excludes:

damage caused by pets; by settlement and shrinkage; by scratching abrading or denting; by faulty workmanship, defective design or use of defective materials; to pottery, porcelain, terracotta, glass or other brittle articles; to photographic, television, radio or other receiving, recording or reproducing equipment; to records, audio, video or computer disks, tapes or cassettes; as a result of tree root action

Which, quite frankly, leaves me wondering, what other type of accident could possibly happen that I would be covered for?! Falling on top of the dining room table while wielding a chain saw I suppose or breaking an armchair by plumping my post-partum bottom on it too vigorously perhaps? Given that we don't own anything particularly valuable and that our excess is €500 and that claiming on the policy is anyway something I would be reluctant to do as it would mean much higher charges for future policies (unless of course there was a significant amount of loss or damage due to flood, fire or theft), is there any point in maintaining accidental damage?

I would think so, if you have oil and had a leak and it destroyed your house - I know someone that this happened to, or say your water tank burst or another water pipe the house could be destroyed - also know someone this happened to.
It would want to be a hell of a lot in the difference for you not to consider paying it and I don't think that would be the case.

But surely something like a water pipe bursting or water tank leaking is covered under the standard house insurance policy - I had understood that the standard policy would cover stuff out of your control (fire/leaks/flood/burglary) and that accidental damage was for damage that was 'within your control' for want of a better word (you knock over your TV, your child rides their trike into your priceless Louis IX tapestry, your works of art fall off the wall because someone bumped into them while ****ed, that sort of thing)??

Anyone in the insurance industry who can enlighten us?

Theres loads of things that may happen. Washing machine leaking all over your kitchen lifting the tiles, knocking the telly off its stand, smashing and destroying your wooden floor. dropping a tin of paint down your stairs all over your carpet. TBH I think the main reason anyone claims from home insurance is because of accidental damage. Shop around and try to get a lower excess.
I have buildings at €200k i think
contents at 35k
including accidental damage with an excess of €125 for less than €300 per year.
I wouldn't be without it TBH

A standard policy cover damage caused by defined perils..ie, Storm, fire, escape of water, escape of water, Malicious act, theft impact etc etc. In addition, many policies will cover accidental damage to fixed glass,sanitary wear and underground pipes and services extending from your home. The policy will also have standard exclusions relating to each of these perils.

At an additional premium, many insurers will offer additional Accidental Damage cover. In essence, in my opinion, Accidental Damage (AD) is something sudden and unforseen from an external force. Again, as pointed out by the OP, exclusions do apply, particularly any exclusion mentioned anywhere else in the policy..ie, an exclusion that applies to the Escape of Water/Fire/Storm etc peril would also apply to the AD peril.

Common forms of AD claims include collapse of shelves(where the resulting damage is covered), Bottles falling in and damaging the bath, putting your foot through the bedroom ceiling when in the attic, Oil leaking from a car onto a driveway, Ingress of rainwater through a roof ( although this type of claim is now often wrongly in my opinion ) declined by insurers. I have even come across claims for people accidentally urinating in their beds. However, cover depends upon the relative policy wording. A simple rule of thumb when it comes to AD is....If it is not excluded, it is covered.

AD cover is beneficial,but like everything else you buy, do examine the product you are buying, and if this is too restrictive or too expensive,as earlier advised, shop around until you get what you need at the right price. In my opinion, if you can afford AD cover, get it.

This morning heard tiles in hall cracking and rising to the point we checked if any water damage underneath - none - got rid of AD this year, is this claim covered. Thanks.

If not caused by an insured risk then no it's not covered. You need to find out what caused the tiles to crack in order to confirm if covered

hmmm, thats a hard one kkelliher as dry underneath,. husband reckons its only a matter of putting the eight or so tiles down again, one did break so hopefully still have them in shop. There down about six years.

I did read the policy but frankly cant figure out where this issue would fit in.

Luckily it just inside the front door so not used at all really.

If not caused by an insured risk then no it's not covered. You need to find out what caused the tiles to crack in order to confirm if covered

The tile wont break or crack by itself. Some force must have acted upon it to cause it to break. Either somebody stood on it ( breaking it if the floor had become uneven or the adhesion between the floor and tile has deteriorated to allow movement of the tile) or something was dropped on it. Either way, if the damage to the tile was sudden and unforeseen, this would be classed as accidental damage. However, insurers are resisting these types of claims and even in the event that they decided to deal with it, they would likely only allow for the damaged tile(s) in itself and confine payment to the actual tile(s) rather than the entire floor ( insurers would rely on the matching pairs and suites clause). The costs involved would unlikely exceed the excess applicable. Accidental damage is not always what it is cracked up to be......excuse the pun!!!!

Either way, if the damage to the tile was sudden and unforeseen, this would be classed as accidental damage. QUOTE]

From a personal point of view I dont see how this could be classed as accidental damage under the deffinition of any insurance policy

Either way, if the damage to the tile was sudden and unforeseen, this would be classed as accidental damage. QUOTE]

From a personal point of view I dont see how this could be classed as accidental damage under the deffinition of any insurance policy

From a professional point of view, I can. Having said that, as previously pointed out, insurers will generally try to resist this type of claim. The term accidental damage is a wide and all encompassing term. In essence, any type of damage is covered, unless specifically excluded. The exclusions are many, not only those specified under the accidental peril, but also any exclusion that applies to any peril listed in the policy. Most people, including many claims handlers do not fully understand the accidental damage aspect of a policy.

Back