Accident claim

D

DJZero

I recently hit into the bumper of another car, I have since paid
for the damage done and have a receipt from the guy saying that he has received payment for damages done to the car. I have not gone through my insurance as I would lose my no claims bonus.
The gardai were called to the scene but they took ages so I just gave the
guy my details, he left and just after that the garda came so I explained to him what had happened and that it was my fault.
Anyway my question or worry is can he come back to me with a claim for
whiplash now ?

Hi DJZero,

I was involved in a similar minor accident 2 years where the guy involved drove a 1990 Rover! I agreed to buy him a need wheel rim and a hub cap cover and that was being generous for the amount of damage caused. No gardai were called to the scene but we both live in the same estate. Thereafter, he put in a claim for neck injury. He received €14,600 in March! I'm currently in the process of reporting the insurance company to the Insurance Ombudsman and to the Financial Ombudsman.

This guy was driving a 1995 Rover - avoid Rovers at all costs !!
Is there a time limit to putting in claims after accidents have happened
and what about if you have already received a settlement ie. car has been fixed ?

Yes, I think there is a time limit but I'm not exactly sure of the specifics. Maybe contact the MIJAG (Motor Insurance Justice Action Group www.mijag.com), IIF (Irish Insurance Federation www.iif.ie) or the PIAB (Personal Injuries Assement Board www.piab.ie) for more detailed info. I would not advise you to contact your insurance provider though!

DJZero said:
This guy was driving a 1995 Rover - avoid Rovers at all costs !!
Is there a time limit to putting in claims after accidents have happened
and what about if you have already received a settlement ie. car has been fixed ?
He would have 2 years to put in a personal injury claim.

Originally posted by ivorystraws
I would not advise you to contact your insurance provider though!
Most insurance companies would give you the option of repaying a small claim to enable you to keep your NCB. The other plus of getting yr insurance company to look after it is the come-back if third party decides to claim for personal injury after settlement. Yr insurance company would have evidence to back you up, low speed collision etc.
Don't understand why everyone seems to be SO anti insurance companies, they only penalise you to try and re-coup some of what has been paid out on your behalf.

ACA, everyone I spoke to after the collison advised me to pay for it myself and I did ring my insurance company who told me I would lose my no claims bonus and my premium could go up 50% or more, hence I decided to take the other route.

Can't speak for your insurance company (the one I work for would allow you to what I suggested, with no hassle) - as I have no idea who they are. You could ask him to sign a waiver for PI - although I don't know whether that would stand up if he decided to claim in the future but, it might enable you to sleep better at night! Not everyone is money-hungry and hopefully the guy you had an accident with is one of those!

Thanks ACA and hopefully you are right not everybody is money hungry, although I wouldn't mind a Lotto win myself ! I am going to leave as is I think.
I am insured with Europa but it was actually my insurance broker who told
me I would lose my NCB and end up paying it back through a hiked up premium.

originally posted by DJZero
my insurance broker who told me I would lose my NCB and end up paying it back through a hiked up premium
You don't say whether you're insured comp or TPF&T and how many years NCB you have but your broker sounds like a waste of space!! It's their job to try and keep your business and make life easier for you - neither of which is apparent in your post.

You appear to be pretty handy with the ol' PC - why not deal with an insurance company direct next time - quotes tend to be cheaper, no middleman to pay!

Back