Accessing UK NIC systems via Website, Phone or post

Fermovian

I've been trying to get my UK NICs paid since 2018 (five years!). I cannot use the website as I do not have two forms of identification required. I have also found that phoning is effectively useless. The usual experience is that I wait on hold for around 1.5 hours and then the line is disconnected without any answer. Occassionally, they might answer after a wait of around 2 hours, but always tell me that they can't make any changes over the phone and must receive correspondence in the post.

I have sent very, very many letters asking them to assess me for Class 2 contributions. I have checked every available source (including AAM) and I cannot see why I might be asked to pay Class 3 contributions. Each time I write, I wait several months for a reply - probably because they don't put international postage on the mail. Each time, they send me a schedule of Class 3 payments, which does not address the issue I wrote about.

Today, I received a standard letter posted 10 weeks ago telling me about my schedule of missing Class 3 payments in response to my request which included form CF83 to assess for Class 2 payments. There was no explanation why I had again been assessed as Class 3. My wife left the UK on the same day and has been assessed for and paid Class 2 contributions. The letter said I must pay within 8 weeks of the letter's date, which had already elapsed before I received the letter.

My query really relates to what I can now do to try to ensure that I can pay Class 2 contributions before the deadline. As noted, I have been trying to resolve this for five years. What must I do to ensure that my window of opportunity stays open? Any guidance much appreciated.

If you have a case and have made no progress in five years due to no fault of your own it might be time to use the complaints procedure.

All you need is a biometric passport. Do you have that?
I see that the UK government website has added facial recognition to their procedures to allow just a passport. That's a new development that I wasn't aware of. Thanks for highlighting this. I'm now crossing my fingers.

I see that the UK government website has added facial recognition to their procedures to allow just a passport. That's a new development that I wasn't aware of. Thanks for highlighting this. I'm now crossing my fingers.
Hiya. Could you post up that facial recognition link please. Have no UK passport or address. .Left the UK 22 years ago. This is so painful...

Hiya. Could you post up that facial recognition link please. Have no UK passport or address. .Left the UK 22 years ago. This is so painful...
You don't need a UK passport or address. I got mine sorted from Ireland with an Irish passport and Irish proof of address

Back