Accessing property without tenants permission

Lin03

I have used an estate agent to rent out my house in Cork.
I'm in the process of re-mortgaging and need to get a valuation done asap.
I have tried contacting the couple renting out the house every day for the last week (I have a mobile no. for them which is never switched on) and the estate agent has dropped a letter through their letterbox telling them to contact me.
As I haven't heard anything from them, I want the estate agent to give the keys to the engineer so he can carry out the valuation but he says he can't do this without permission from the tenants.
What should I do?

From threshold website:

Privacy

Tenants are entitled to quiet and peaceful enjoyment of their tenancy. A landlord is only allowed enter with the tenants permission. If you need to carry out repairs or inspect the premises, it should be by prior arrangement with the tenant.

Maybe give Threshold a call & explain situation - they may be able to advise?

A week isn't that long, i can think of times when I was renting when i was away from the property and uncontactable for up to three weeks. It sounds like you intend to continue to rent out the property. No tenant will appreciate you entering the property without their permission, it may be your property but its their home.

Try sitting outside the property early morning or tea-time to see if you can spot them as they enter/exit.

Lin03 said:
I have used an estate agent to rent out my house in Cork.
I'm in the process of re-mortgaging and need to get a valuation done asap.
I have tried contacting the couple renting out the house every day for the last week (I have a mobile no. for them which is never switched on) and the estate agent has dropped a letter through their letterbox telling them to contact me.
As I haven't heard anything from them, I want the estate agent to give the keys to the engineer so he can carry out the valuation but he says he can't do this without permission from the tenants.
What should I do?

did you try calling to the front door in the evening ?

I'm living in Dublin and the house is in Cork so I don't know whether they're gone away or just not getting back to me.

I know a week isn't that long to try and get hold of them, the problem is that I need to get the valuation done asap as I'm buying a house and the contracts are due to be signed.

I've contacted Threshold who've told me that I should write one more letter to the tenants giving them 7 days to reply. If I don't hear from them I can go ahead and have the valuation done.

Thanks for all the replies.

Back