Access to apartment complex -

FonaFona

I own an apartment. I own two car park spaces. Current access to the complex and car park is via electronic gates through use of a fob system.

I received an email from the management agent to say that the access mechanism is changing to a GSM system to improve security. Each unit owner will be given the right to add the same number of phone numbers as there are car park spaces owned plus one more.
FYI: I don’t know who made the decision to change the access method or when the decision was made or who decided the rules. I checked the AGM notes and there is nothing there other than a mention of an upgrade to the gates access system.

This means that in my case, I have two spaces and therefore can have three phone numbers added to the system.

I want four added. I laid out my very logical reasoning to the management agent as to why I need four. The management agent replied and said the decision was made that I can have three.

I have written to the directors. They forwarded my email to the management agent. Same response from the management agent - I can have only three on the basis that I own two spaces.

My question here is: what can I do to escalate to get extra numbers added? Or in other words, what rights have I to fight this and if I have rights then how do I go about it.

Are there not resident(s) who are on the Management Committee you could approach. It’s usual to have apartment owners on the Committee or indeed as Directors of the Company.

Look up the Memo and Arts of the Management Company and call an EGM. As an apartment owner you’re a member and probably have this entitlement. (If you feel that strongly about it, though it may be using a sledgehammer to crack a nut)

I want four added. I laid out my very logical reasoning to the management agent as to why I need four. The management agent replied and said the decision was made that I can have three.
Why and what was your reasoning? Two people in the apartment, each entitled to two phone-numbers?

Why and what was your reasoning? Two people in the apartment, each entitled to two phone-numbers?
Lets take general examples that could justify more than two numbers:
Two occupiers obviously need one each.
Add in landlord(s).
Add in a property management agent.
Add in car park sharing.
I’m sure there’s more examples.

Are there not resident(s) who are on the Management Committee you could approach. It’s usual to have apartment owners on the Committee or indeed as Directors of the Company.

Look up the Memo and Arts of the Management Company and call an EGM. As an apartment owner you’re a member and probably have this entitlement. (If you feel that strongly about it, though it may be using a sledgehammer to crack a nut)
Yes, residents the management committee. And they are all very nice, decent people trying to do the right thing. They are deferring to the management agent, who again are doing a great job and getting serious work done. So definitely not looking to go nuclear on this.

I’m not against the change to GSM in principle. I’m just looking for reasonable access. I have four fobs now (which I paid massively for already) and I’m looking for the same level of access going forward.

Latest on this is that my appeal for reconsideration to allow extra numbers has been sent to the company solicitor.

It seems very unreasonable that they won't allow 4 numbers to replace the 4 fobs you already have.

Is it a big development where there would be a capacity limit to the number of phone numbers the system will take and therefore its evenly shared out at 3 per unit?

The fact that they are sending the query to the OMC solicitor is a shocking waste of money, I'd be really annoyed at that if I was an owner.

To answer your specific questions about rights, you'd need to dig out your lease (its part of your deeds) and see what it says about rights to parking spaces, that the starting point.

Another example: if you have a work phone and a personal phone, you might not always have both on you/charged.

Our complex switched to GSM car park access a few years ago. Did you hear any mention of a backup procedure if the GSM network is down or there's some other technical fault? We've already experienced this once where no one could get in or out for an hour. I assume there's some local override, but obviously management company don't want to share details.

Back