Accepting Rent Allowance

Be very careful. Insist on several references from previous landlords. Ring the referees to see that they check out. You won't get the rent paid directly to you the tenant has to pass it on. Expect delays in getting the rent, the department frequently hold it up if they are reassessing the tenants eligibility so rent could be delayed for several months at a time. Expect additional paperwork to fill out on a regular basis because of this. It's very difficult to get through to the department on the phone in question if there is a delay, if not impossible so patience is required. You need to trust that the tenant has actually sent in the documents to the dept so make sure you are dealing with people that you trust. There are thresholds in place depending on the county the property is in and the number of adults / children. These are available on the citizens information website. You will not get anymore rent than this and the department will request a copy of the lease with this amount on it. This amount will often be considerably less than the amount you would get if you let to a private paying tenant. Expect more wear and tear on your property as the tenants will be at home most of the time. There is no question that extra hassle and less remuneration come into play. There's a risk that the tenant won't pass on the rent and won't move out. The prtb are on the tenants side and it takes months to get eviction orders. Beware.

Tenant selection is most critical. You must get references and you must check references. You are not a charity but you do not want to left out of pocket if the tenant stops paying.
Given the associated payment issues surrounding RA tenants you are within your rights to insist on 3 months deposit up front. Many landlords are going this route to ensure the right tenant with no payment history problems is presented for the property.

Speaking as a Rent Allowance tenant I would love to know where laois1 got his/her information from. My rent is paid directly to the landlord by the CWO and has never been late. You can set up a direct debit with the CWO from the start. I've been living in the same house for 5 years and view it as my home. As my home I keep it well looked after.

The stigma against RA recipients is unfair. Bad tenants come in all walks of life. My landlords last tenant was working and they left the house destroyed and left without paying the last months rent or bills.

I would suggest you get references and request the CWO pays you directly. Not everyone knows you can do this so if a potential tenant says they can't tell them to look into it or give you a letter from the CWO stating they are refusing to do it. Some CWO's like to be difficult but most actually prefer to pay RA this way.

. Expect additional paperwork to fill out on a regular basis because of this.

You will not get anymore rent than this and the department will request a copy of the lease with this amount on it.

This amount will often be considerably less than the amount you would get if you let to a private paying tenant.

Expect more wear and tear on your property as the tenants will be at home most of the time.

The paperwork is very simple, it's a social welfare form to sign. They might ask for proof that you are the owner, this is solved with the NPPR payment proof or house insurance.

You do not have to have a lease, I don't. Maybe the tenants use the rent book as proof, but I don't know that for sure.

It might be true to state that social welfare rent is lower than market rent in Dublin, but it wouldn't be the case everywhere. In Dublin they are looking at raising the ceiling currently.

Tenants who work from home will also have higher wear and tear, and families where one person stays at home would be in the same situation.

I've only had one problem with a social welfare tenant, but she was the problem and I've learned to be a lot more picky. My best tenant was also a social welfare tenant who stayed with me 7 years. Students are worse than social welfare tenants, so they are the category I refuse to rent to.

Back