Accepting Credit Card Payments

The Bishop

If this is the wrong thread I apologise - Please advise

Query Re Small/PT Business: Has anyone any ideas of the most economical way to accept credit card payments for a small p/t business.

It really depends on the volume / value you're expecting, and if you want a card terminal or only to accept payments online / over the phone.

Some services have a minimum charge per month, while others might have a higher percentage charge but works out cheaper for the occasional payment.

If you're using an accounting package to issue invoices, you might find some services that integrate well with that (e.g SagePay).

If you provide a bit more info people might point you in the right direction.

as a customer to a few small businesses I have paid with credit card where the owners have used the sumup facility. I thought it was great. I don't know the associated costs.

For 'card present' transactions Sumup is a great service, and good for small value / volume. There's no contract, or minimum costs, but they charge 2.75% of the transaction value so costly if accepting larger payments. Another great advantage is it's portable. Nothing to stop you using them, and moving on as the volumes grow.

Traditional alternatives cost a minimum of 20 per month, with varying charges depending on card type.

For phone / online payments neither will provide a solution.

Thanks for the responses - SumUp sounds ideal - I did sign up a few years ago and got an account setup. However, apparently now the card reader is obsolete and they need another €39 to upgrade LOL - there possibly isn't any monthly charges but if the card reader need changing regularly it defeats the purpose - anyone else any experience of SumUP

If you don't want the cost of upgrades, The alternative is to rent a unit elsewhere for 22 per month, with a 2 year contract...

Not talking about Sumup specifically here, but the whole mobile card reader market.

This is all relatively new stuff, led initially in the US where chip and pin isn't common.
The first generation of card readers were a swipe and sign type, with some having SMS verification. They were then followed by chip and pin readers, and more recently contactless payments.

The latest generation can accept payments in any way, so unless there are entire card scheme changes, or a new NFC type technology I can't envisage any more forced obsolescence. They might make the physical device better, more robust or with a rechargeable battery or something, but otherwise it already provides everything you'd need.

Back