Accepting a Job offer then turning down

ccbkd

Hi I have been offered a position in London with a Contractor as a sole trader for three month period on a large project, contracts etc arrived this morning...however a recruitment consultant is recommending me for a newly vacant position in Dublin, It is by no means certain yet as I have to do an interview with Dublin Contractor for permanent position and impress enough to get Job, I would much prefer position in Dublin as it is permanent and pays as well..The contractor in London is pushing for a response today..I am wondering If I accept position in London and then get offered position in Dublin is there any legal ramifications!! any Help would be great..

Take the job in London and turn it down later if you get the job here. There's nothing they can do to you.

It's not primarily a legal issue. It's a business issue. If you start a project and give your word that you will be there for three months, then you should stick to it.

If you start and leave after a few weeks, you will be leaving them in the lurch.

a recruitment consultant is recommending me for a newly vacant position in Dublin
That is a long way from a job offer which you can accept. The recruiter is probably recommending many others for the same job. They might prefer someone else. They might decide not to fill the job.

In practice, jobs take a few months to fill. It could take a few weeks to arrange the interview for the Dublin job. It could take another few weeks to get the offer. Depending on your seniority, they might well expect a notice period. So I think you should be upfront with both parties about your position. Tell the company in the UK that you accept the job but that you are in the running for a job in Dublin. If you are offered it, you will accept it and try to get them to wait until you finish the London job.

Thanks Purple, my main concern was a breach of contract! and secondary concern was burning bridges etc! but as long as there is no legal recourse as such I would hope If I get offer in Dublin a well worded apology might undo damage!

If what you are looking at is only the legal implications, then perhaps you will not have a lot to worry about. However as Brendan points out "if you give your word then you should stick to it".
What if the shoe was on the other foot? I guess you'd not like it too much? You are prepared to accept money to do a job and not complete - not nice. In any case this potential Dublin job, may not come off, you may be able to delay taking up any new position, or in worst case at least have the gumption to have a backup lined up to complete the contract you promised to the London outfit.
Unless of course the job in Dublin involves politics when breaking your word might be an honourable thing to do.

Just to be clear, I would accept the job offer in the UK but decline before the start date. I wouldn't leave if the job had started.

Back