ACCA

J

Jamie

Hi,

I have a degree in Commerce (1989) from UCG. I want to do the ACCA exams but I dont want to leave my current non-accountancy job.

Is this possible doing night courses or studying on my own etc ? Any advice appreciated.

Jamie

The standard means of studying for ACCA is by means of night and weekend courses. It would be helpful if you can negotiate a study leave entitlement with your employer, if this is not possible you may need to take time from your holidays as study and exam leave.

A friend of mine passed the ACCA exams a few years back and he was working in a non-accountancy job (college lecturer) so it is possible but I would not underestimate the commitment required.

Note that you won't be able to call yourself a Chartered Certified accountant until you get the requisite accountancy related experience, and from memory, you are time bound in terms of how long you have to get that experience.

Thanks

Yes, I think you can pass all your exams but you still have to get relevant work experience to qualify.

Re: Thanks

Hi Jamie

What are you hoping to achieve by doing the ACCA? I am not sure that it will be worth the time and effort and expense if you are in a fairly well paid position at the moment.

Brendan

Hi Brendan,

I reckon Accountancy could be an interesting career path and its a recession-proof job in many ways.

Jamie.

Re: Thanks

Hi Brendan

What are you hoping to achieve by doing the ACCA?

Havent you noticed but the accountants are taking over the world!

ajapale

Hi Jamie

Your first port of call should be to contact the ACCA in Leeson Park. They will be able to tell you how many exam exemptions you will be entitled to based on your degree.

You can attend evening/weekend lectures. As the exams are held every 6 mths the courses are quite intense. Depending how many subjects you are attempting at a time you could be looking at 10/15 hours a week at lectures. At the final stage I had lectures every Monday,Tuesday & Wednesday from 6.15 to 9.45 with a lot of saturdays and sundays thrown in for good measure. The revision courses are usually held over 3 or 4 full days a couple of weeks before the exams.

Working in a non accounting job will not prevent you from sitting the exams but in order to become a member you must gain 3 years revelent experience either before,during or after completing the exams. I'm not sure if there is a time restriction on this.

I know people who have completed the exams and then gained the work experience however I definately benefited from working in accountancy practises while studying. You are also more likely to get study leave and/or financial assistance from your employer.

Hope this helps.. best of luck with your decision

Back