Abuse of Social Welfare System

Status
Not open for further replies.
The same type of anecdotes that had all african refugees being given free cars etc?

You state, based on observations, have you followed these people into the dole office or post office?

So, how many people do you suspect of fraudulent acitivity? How many of them are Irish? How many of them are foreign? How many of each type have been reviewed?

I'm new here and usually browse the mortgage section as i'm hoping to be a first time buyer some time soon. Was browsing the rest of the site and came across this thread and felt the need to clarify a few things. I'm not a DSP employee but know a fair bit about the system through my work.

In relation to the start of the thread, the man and woman are likely on invalidity pension (IP). This is a non-means tested payment and based on a person's PRSI contributions. If you have the required number of stamps then you must satisfy the medical criteria. You say the man got the payment after appealing it and getting his GP to change something. What likely happened here is that the man was refused on the initial application and sought a review by submitting further medical evidence from his GP. Believe me, many GPs will write whatever is asked of them so it's not unusual.

IP applications are assessed by a doctor but not in person. The assessor looks at the GP report from the applicant. I can assure you, IP is proving very difficult to get at present.

Carers allowance is means tested, carers benefit is not. A person who is getting IP may apply for half rate carers allowance. You mention he is on a 500 pension but don't say if it's weekly or monthly. If it's weekly, he likely exceeds the means test and will not get half rate carers.

All in all, this man is not committing fraud. He is simply applying for payments which he is entitled to.

As for the other Latvian woman mentioned, there is no such payment as invalidity benefit. Certain disability payments allow a person to work a small amount of hours per week if the work is regarded as therapeutic or rehabilitative. It is unlikely that house cleaning would come under that category so it's possible that the woman is working for cash, in which case that is fraud.

Finally, the last example is similar to the first, there is no fraud here, only someone receiving a social insurance payment because they have the required number of contributions and satisfy the medical criteria. However, if their medical cards come up for review (minimum every 2 years) then they will likely lose them unless they are obscuring their private pensions somehow.

Pawid,
It seems wrong that someone can claim their retirement pension and disability benefit together.
I thought there was an effort, in the past year, to prevent a person from receiving two social welfare benefits.

I have retirement pension, can I claim disability pension as I have contributions up to current date????????
I think my morals dictate that I would be wrong? The system is very poor if that is allowed.
Browtal

Folks

I think that the original question has been answered at this stage. Feel free to continue the discussion in the Letting Off Steam forum

Brendan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back