Abu Dhabi Duty free.

BOXtheFOX

I will be travelling to Hong Kong from Dublin with Etihad transiting through Abu Dhabi.

If I purchase alcohol duty free in Dublin can I transit with this when flying the second leg of my journey to Hong Kong from Abu Dhabi. It will be part of my "carry on"?

Do they sell alcohol in the Abu Dhabi duty free and would it be cheaper to purchase there than in Dublin?

I will be staying air side and just transiting through. My duty free bottles from Dublin airport will be in my cabin luggage.

Not sure about the transiting through. It used to be the case that you could not but now the bags might be sealed so it might be possible?? As for prices, I would think much cheaper than Dublin. That was certainly the case in Dubai airport a decade ago when we were there. Booze and fags were remarkably cheap there at that time.

I transferred through Dubai on Emirates last year and there was a full security screening required for all transfer passengers before boarding. All liquids confiscated, including bottled water bought airside.

I didn't price too much in the duty free there, but anything I did was more expensive than downtown prices here.

Thanks Leo. That was what I was afraid of. It might actually be cheaper to pick up a bottle in Dunnes Stores and put it in my suitcase in the hold. I am sure that this is allowed?

I had hoped to bring a couple of Solpadeine in my hold suitcase, but reading mathepac's link above it seems that Codeine based painkillers are also banned when transitting?

Yeah, that'll work alright. I think the days of real bargains in duty free are long gone.

I read reports of people being stopped and detained for carrying small quantities of codeine based products as well, so I didn't risk it, but I didn't see any bags being searched in that detail either.

Back