Absent tenant

butterfield

My tenant pays me through bank account but has not used flat for at least 6 months.

A small water tank has leaked in room and have had to access in order to sort out as the place is flooded, have to take up carpets etc. and replace tank etc.

I have no way to contact this tenant and wonder what I should do, obviously I have to mop up and remove carpet etc. Am I entitled to enter the flat to do this. Just wondering what I should or should not do ???

Could you contact one of the references he provided and see do they have a phone number for him?

It is very strange that they continue to pay the rent and not stay there....great to have the money!! Surely there must have been some contact with the tenant? Phone call or email at some stage. I'd imagine you would be OK to enter the property as this would be deemed an emergency, may contact threshold or PRTB to see if they can throw any light on the matter.

It is very likely that the insurance company will not pay as occupancy is normally a condition & they expect to be notified if a property is vacant for prolonged periods of time. Did the tenant tell you they wouldn't be there for a period of time?

If your only link with them is the rent being paid, maybe if you contacted the bank and said there was an emergency they might contact the tenant on your behalf (worth a try)

Initially the tenent used the accommodation all the time, then less often. I was aware that he only used it sometimes and didn't take much notice until it was pointed out to me by other tenants. He has not used it now for maybe 6 months - not exactly sure as I don't see him with rent paid directly. I cannot figure it out myself, but I know he has family and if anything had happened to him I assume they would have contacted me somehow.

I have no contact through references as I have very informal agreement with tenants as they are long term.

Anyway it is an emergency so I assume its ok to sort things out.

Back