About to open Quinn Life Fund

Bryan99

Thanks to some helpful comments on these pages, I am about to open up a Quinn Life fund with a lump sum investment of €500 and monthly contributions of €250 split across the following funds (this will increase over time), for at least ten years. I have little personal debt and am prepared to accept a degree of risk. I understand that I will have to wait out any rises/falls etc.

Euro Freeway 40%
Celtic Freeway 20%
China Freeway 15%
S&P500 25%

I would greatly appreciate any advice/comments on this.

Interesting. Thanks. When I'm monitoring my funds how often/closely should I examine/change them? I mean if I'm thinking of ten-fifteen years down the road then surely day to day changes are not that important?

I opened an account with quinn about 6 weeks ago, for regular premiums and went with:
50% Euro freeway
10% China
40% Celtic Freeway
as I wanted to minimise currency risk (obv excluding china). On the other hand it does mean that I have probably invested too heavily in ireland given I live and work here! :) I am currently 23 and propertyless so the time period for investing is relatively long term, i.e. I wouldn't be looking to do anything for at least the next three years or so and could hold on longer without a problem to ride out any shocks etc.
It's always interesting to find out what fund split others have gone for :)

As per your sentiment (but not your % s!) gravitygirl , I am now 0% in Irish shares due to the fact that with a job, house and pension here, I am invested enough in this market ....

Currently have a mix of
Euro 33%
UK 33%
US 33%

But hope to invest some more into China, Japan and Latin America in the coming year to bring my investments to Euro 25%, UK 25%, US 25% others above 25%

BB

Am thinking of going with

Euro 40%
Celtic 35%
US 10%
Japan 5%
China 5%
Emerging 5%

Could this be considered a medium risk strategy?
Am going with initial investment and lodgements every 2/3 months.

If I decided I'd like to take a risk, does it make sense to open a sperate fund and invest say €4k in Biotech freeway for eg? This then does not effect my main fund

Last edited:
I have

50% Euro
50% Celtic

I had intended to reduce the Celtic amount, but the returns have been very good so it has stayed at 50% so far. Hope it continues.

Billo

If I decided I'd like to take a risk, does it make sense to open a sperate fund and invest say €4k in Biotech freeway for eg? This then does not effect my main fund
No - this makes no sense. Any gains or losses in the Biotech will have the same overall financial impact on you, regardless of whether it is in a seperate fund or not.

What advantage is there to having a savings account structured as a life assurance policy, since Quinn LIfe, for example, still charge a Revenue exit tax of 23%?

Do you mean compared to a deposit account that only charges 20% DIRT? The main advantage is that a unit linked fund should over the medium/long term far outperform deposits (depending on what specific fund and risk/reward profile you go for).

No, I meant what is the advantage of having it structured specifically as a life assurance policy?

Note there is now an 8(?) yr rule which limits the usefullnes of Gross Roll Up.
Does that apply to all gross roll up unit linked funds? I thought that it was only to those that didn't deal with tax issues within the fund (e.g. the UCITS offered by RaboDirect)?

Gak! :eek: That's going to be a real pain for indirect equity investors. Thanks for the link. Need to start studing this... :(

How does one calculate the assessable gain in the case of a unit linked fund? Especially if regular contributions are made over the years? And can one write off expenses, previously incurred losses and annual CGT allowance? And then how do they work out what the 23% exit tax applies to. Sounds like a recipe for a real mess if Revenue actually insist on this. Hopefully somebody will tell us that they do not actually plan to insist on this.

Back