A stamp - PRSI / J stamp

Really have no idea about this type of thing - all of know is I have been receiving my pay monthly since October 2021 with the wrong PRSI STAMP being paid - this was an error by payroll as a direct consequence of their error - is it the employer pays an amount and the employee pays an amount? Im on - 375 euro a week paid monthly - the incorrect DOB was put into their payroll software - making me 68 instead of 58!! Should have been A not J - I was hoping as it's their error - they would have to make up shortfall - an inspector has been assigned to investigate the incorrect class - assigned - only discovered today how this error occurred.

is it the employer pays an amount and the employee pays an amount?
In most cases, yes.
The link to info about the different PRSI classes that I posted a lot earlier in this thread outlines how it works.
I was hoping as it's their error - they would have to make up shortfall -
You'll have to ask them if they might pay some or all of your shortfall since it was their error. But I don't think that they're obliged to do so.

In most cases, yes.
The link to info about the different PRSI classes that I posted a lot earlier in this thread outlines how it works.

You'll have to ask them if they might pay some or all of your shortfall since it was their error. But I don't think that they're obliged to do so.
Ok thank you , that seems unfair,
Undoubtedly you're probably correct- if I have to fund for all the shortfall - can you do that ? I want to get my A stamps back over the period ( 11 months) Is it allowed for in this unfortunate- unforeseen circumstance - ?
Would you have an idea of the cost of

Presumably your employer is also going to have a liability for the employer PRSI shortfall? So they'll probably also be motivated to find a way, if SW allow it, to pay the shortfall in installments which you can maybe avail of too?
Just see this online -

Attachments

• 689EE812-8AF8-44FC-8B8D-381E7C5054E9.png
    689EE812-8AF8-44FC-8B8D-381E7C5054E9.png
    965.4 KB · Views: 10
You seem to be on just under €20k p.a.?
In which case the PRSI is c. €459 according to this calculator:
Assuming that that's correct or near enough, 11 months' shortfall would be c. €420.

That's interesting.
If that's the case then presumably that's what the investigating officer will tell your employer when they complete their investigation?
I don't know - seems that may be the case - according to that screenshot I just found from googling - thanks for that calculation that's great to know - I'm thinking worst case scenario- that's the figure - ( I'm semi retired - 33 k pension ( public service ) that won't affect that figure you did for me would it ? I doubt it.

I don't know - seems that may be the case - according to that screenshot I just found from googling - thanks for that calculation that's great to know - I'm thinking worst case scenario- that's the figure - ( I'm semi retired - 33 k pension ( public service ) that won't affect that figure you did for me would it ? I doubt it.
Sorry I don't know. PRSI is quite complicated.
Somebody else may be able to clarify.

Your pension isn't liable for PRSI so won't be affected by this error.

As for the arrears of employee's PRSI my advice would be to sit tight and see what the SW Inspector recommends. You've done nothing wrong so have nothing to worry about only the (hopefully slight) possibility that you'll be asked by your employer to fork out for the arrears of employee's contributions.

The information that you found on the internet only means that the employer is liable to pay the full amount due in respect of both the employer's and the employee's PRSI to the Department of Social Welfare - but this may not stop him from subsequently asking you to pay him your share!

Oh I see - that's great to know. I'm thinking more really about - the state contributory pension !!! I would just about made the 520 with A credits and A stamps - not a hope if this J stamp error is not sorted ! I think it will - I don't mind paying a few quid back once the A Stamp issue is sorted - it was a genuine error - much appreciated, your advice

Oh I see - that's great to know. I'm thinking more really about - the state contributory pension !!! I would just about made the 520 with A credits and A stamps - not a hope if this J stamp error is not sorted ! I think it will - I don't mind paying a few quid back once the A Stamp issue is sorted - it was a genuine error - much appreciated, your advice

That's where I'd be focusing too. If your arrears are in the region of €500, then it won't take you long to recoup them if they help you to reach the magic 520 contributory PRSI threshold!

With earnings of 375 euro per week you will owe about 6.83 euro per week Prsi taking account of class A tapered credit.

Class A tapered credit​

A weekly tapered PRSI credit of €12 is available for employees insured at Class A whose earnings are between €352.01 and €424 in a week. The maximum PRSI credit of €12 per week applies to gross weekly earnings of €352.01. A person earning €352.01 pays €14.08 PRSI (4%). After the €12 credit is deducted they will pay PRSI of €2.08. For people earning between €352.01 and €424, the credit of €12 is reduced by one-sixth of earnings over €352.01. There is no PRSI credit once earnings exceed €424.

With earnings of 375 euro per week you will owe about 6.83 euro per week Prsi taking account of class A tapered credit.

Class A tapered credit​

A weekly tapered PRSI credit of €12 is available for employees insured at Class A whose earnings are between €352.01 and €424 in a week. The maximum PRSI credit of €12 per week applies to gross weekly earnings of €352.01. A person earning €352.01 pays €14.08 PRSI (4%). After the €12 credit is deducted they will pay PRSI of €2.08. For people earning between €352.01 and €424, the credit of €12 is reduced by one-sixth of earnings over €352.01. There is no PRSI credit once earnings exceed €424.

Class A tapered credit​

Here's one for you !!! My employer could be described as " very tight " when it comes to money - I always found this a little strange -I started on 350 a week in 2020. About 8/9 months or so ( approx ) my wages went to 375. I only happened to notice this a few months back on the payslip - it goes against what you would expect - in that , if he was giving you 1 euro extra - you would be expecting to hear about it morning noon and night !!!
I just feel that rise , somehow , had a benefit to him , but I just can't figure out how !!!! I know any amount over 350 - changes the amount, I ( employee) pays - I understand it may be I then pay Prsi on all my earnings !? That would include my pension ( if , all earnings ) I'm sure - there is some benefit to him , and probable loss to me - am I overthinking this

There is no saving for the employer unless your earnings are over 410 euro.
Your pension is Prsi class M. There is no payment for class M.
Your only Prsi due will be for your employment income.

The employer only pays 0.5% for Prsi class J so the age "miskake" was saving him some money.

Employers' PRSI​

Employers pay 8.8% Class A employer PRSI on weekly earnings up to €410.

Employers pay 11.05% Class A employer PRSI on weekly earnings over €410.

Last edited:
There is no saving for the employer unless your earnings are over 410 euro.
Your pension is Prsi class M. There is no payment for class M.
Your only Prsi due will be for your employment income.

Employers' PRSI​

Employers pay 8.8% Class A employer PRSI on weekly earnings up to €410.

Employers pay 11.05% Class A employer PRSI on weekly earnings over €410.
Oh , ok - class A though I thought was my class ?thank you

You are class A for the bus driver employment and class M for the pension.
You can have more than one Prsi class in any year.

Back