A stamp - PRSI / J stamp

deco87

Just wondered what is the difference between the two categories are ?

Post public service employee (35 years)

Working now 10 months ( school calendar) year - school bus driver full time

Last edited:
Why not give Scope Section a bell (or an email) and ask them!

Contact details here: https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/a...scope-section-insurability-for-prsi-purposes/
Thanks very much indeed - this forum is worth its wait in gold !! Never heard about that !!! It's rather strange - I just added a pic below - I am more confused now can't figure out all the different info - in 2020 March 1st - I retired public service after 36 years - the following day I started a school bus run , was definitely paying A stamp - at start of that employment- I seem to have been switched to " J" by Soc protection- in class " J" I am not any of the classes that the , J , stamp applies to !! Thanks for that information-

Attachments

• DD73FABA-0366-4AAE-B65D-6654ECA6EBB3.jpeg
    DD73FABA-0366-4AAE-B65D-6654ECA6EBB3.jpeg
    5.7 MB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Did you earn less that 38 euro per week at any time during the year. Maybe during school holidays.

Well you see , I always , sign on for job seekers / credit , when I'm not working - if I have no , accumulated holiday pay built up So , - No - I don't think so , would be my answer -EG. Xmas coming now , I'll sign for one week - and I have a weeks - holiday pay to cover the second week -

You don't have any A credits showing on your records. This is probably because you are considered as employed for the complete year Are you paid monthly?
If you worked for a short period in any month and say your total earnings were 120 euro. This could be presented as 4 weeks of employment at 30 euro per week. This would result in 4 J class contributions on your record. If you check your employment details for 2021 on myaccount you should see where J was applied.

Yup paid monthly alright - I do sign off as in I sign in for credits / job seekers - for example , at start of summer - sign off at end of summer - I would never earn less than the standard amount I get which is well in excess of 120 euro - I'll try but not too sure where exactly I'll find that information in my account under employment details thanks

You don't have any A credits showing on your records. This is probably because you are considered as employed for the complete year Are you paid monthly?
If you worked for a short period in any month and say your total earnings were 120 euro. This could be presented as 4 weeks of employment at 30 euro per week. This would result in 4 J class contributions on your record. If you check your employment details for 2021 on myaccount you should see where J was applied.
Is there not 42 A in 2021?

They are "paid A". You should get "A credits" for the times you were signed on as a Jobseeker. If you were signed on at all times when you were not being paid you should have 10 A credits showing on your record. You should query this as the A credits are reckonable for the contributory pension.
The J contributions are basically useless.
When you check in myaccount for year 2021 the employer name will be listed. In the top right hand corner of the employer box you will see an area to click for employment details. This opens a monthly list of your pay details. For each month you can click view and then you will see what Prsi class was used for that month.

Ah fair play to you , thanks very much indeed - I will follow your advice on the morning - if I understand correctly - the employer is instructed by social protection what Class , applies to the employee ? That's what the boss told me quite definitely earlier today ! Thanks again for all the info

The employer is not exactly told what Prsi to apply. There is a fairly complex set of rules that the employer is expected to know and implement. Confusion can be caused as in the example I gave you about having low earnings in any month and then whether the employer uses 1 , 4 or sometimes even 5 pay weeks for that month. The whole Prsi system is a confusing mess.

Yup it seems to be - I was advised before I retired just to be sure your on an A stamp - as it may contribute to some pro rata contribution state pension at 66 - this J is not contributing to it - i nite your information above again - many thanks

Why not give Scope Section a bell (or an email) and ask them!

Contact details here: https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/a...scope-section-insurability-for-prsi-purposes/
In fairness to you - I had never heard of this section !! I sent as you advised an email last evening - they replied first thing - they are going to get it looked at by an inspector and told me I was on the wrong class and should be on A !! I'm delighted and thanks again for your very informative suggestion

In fairness to you - I had never heard of this section !! I sent as you advised an email last evening - they replied first thing - they are going to get it looked at by an inspector and told me I was on the wrong class and should be on A !! I'm delighted and thanks again for your very informative suggestion

Glad to be of service.
I find that - unlike some other parts of the civil service - both Social Welfare and Revenue tend to respond quickly and helpfully to enquiries- the problem is finding the right person/section to contact!

Just an update !!! After my boss saying it's nothing to do with him - and the social protection saying it is up to him to make sure he puts employees on the right class - i went in again to see him today - impressing upon him to check with payroll - I'm just off the phone from him now - he now tells me since October last year - I was off for summer - back when schools restarted first pay October 2021 - the payroll person put into their payroll software my incorrect date of birth - as a consequence- it seems J class , was assigned to me as I was them over 66! I'm 58 - that now seems to be the problem- I'm now very concerned I'm going to be stuck with a big bill the difference between a J stamp and an A stamp - a social welfare inspector from scope section has been appointed to check into this - haven't heard from him yet - that happened last FRIDAY according to scope section - have I a financial liability now due to employer error - any advice appreciated

Glad to be of service.
I find that - unlike some other parts of the civil service - both Social Welfare and Revenue tend to respond quickly and helpfully to enquiries- the problem is finding the right person/section to contact!
Have an update

Just an update !!! After my boss saying it's nothing to do with him - and the social protection saying it is up to him to make sure he puts employees on the right class - i went in again to see him today - impressing upon him to check with payroll - I'm just off the phone from him now - he now tells me since October last year - I was off for summer - back when schools restarted first pay October 2021 - the payroll person put into their payroll software my incorrect date of birth - as a consequence- it seems J class , was assigned to me as I was them over 66! I'm 58 - that now seems to be the problem- I'm now very concerned I'm going to be stuck with a big bill the difference between a J stamp and an A stamp - a social welfare inspector from scope section has been appointed to check into this - haven't heard from him yet - that happened last FRIDAY according to scope section - have I a financial liability now due to employer error - any advice appreciated
Presumably your employer is also going to have a liability for the employer PRSI shortfall? So they'll probably also be motivated to find a way, if SW allow it, to pay the shortfall in installments which you can maybe avail of too?

Back