A question about Stock trading, CGT and dividend tax in Ireland

John216

Hi, I started investing in stocks and shares last year. I invested mostly in Irish companies, holding the stocks for varying lengths of time, some were held for a few months, others for a few weeks. So in essence i traded stocks and turned a profit of about 400Euro in Irish domiciled companies.

Does my activity qualify as trading(and hence CGT at 33pc is due to the Taxman) OR does the profit fall under the 1270euro CGT exemption and i have nothing to worry about? If the former is true, are there any tax/usc/prsi implications I may be unaware of?

One of my investments yielded a 30euro or so dividend, small i know. Tax was deducted at source at 20pc i believe. Is PRSI/USC also owing to the taxman from the dividend?

Any profit on trading is liable to CGT and there is a EUR 1270 per year exemption. Any divs liable to income tax at marginal rate.

Revenue don't have specific rules on what constitutes "trading" but if you're holding for weeks, that's' probably fine. If you're buying and selling multiple shares daily, that would probably be seen as "trading". This is not financial advice though - contact a professional

Back