a good name for a new house in the country

LouisCribben

A friend of mine has built a new detached house on a very nice site.

It's quite big and opulent and well finished, and has left him with a big mortgage.

He's not pretentious, but the house needs a name, and he needs some ideas.

He finds a lot of house names quite pretentious sounding.
In fact he finds the whole idea of a house having a name a little bit cringe worthy.

However, If he finds a good name, he may use it, he was thinking about something with roots in Greek or Roman mythology.......!

He doesnt want any of the top 50 names used in the england which are
1. The Cottage 18. Orchard Cottage 35. Fairview 2. Rose Cottage 19. Yew Tree Cottage 36. White Cottage 3. The Bungalow 20. The Laurels 37. Mill House 4. The Coach House 21. The Old Post Office 38 The Orchard 5. Orchard House 22. The Gables 39. Treetops 6. The Lodge 23. The Hollies 40. Primrose Cottage 7. Woodlands 24. The Beeches 41. The Granary 8. The Old School House 25. The Firs 42. The Nook 9. Ivy Cottage 26. Woodside 43. Corner Cottage 10. The Willows 27. Meadow View 44. School House 11. The Barn 28. The Stables 45. Greenacres 12. The Old Rectory 29. The White House 46. The Old School 13. Hillside 30. Holly Cottage 47. Honeysuckle Cottage 14. Hillcrest 31. Willow Cottage 48. Lilac Cottage 15. The Croft 32. Highfield 49. Wayside 16. The Old Vicarage 33. The Haven 50. Oaklands 17. Sunnyside 34. Springfield

Any answers to my pathetic question would be appreciated.

Re: a good name for a new house

Where is the house situated?

How about 'Millstone'? Connotations with hard graft, tough durable etc but also referring to the mortgage and lifetime patback.

what about something irish? has he got a sea or mountain view? is he on a hill or a hollow? give us a few pointers please.

Its in Co Mayo, its near a river, not touristy, its in the countryside, a lot of agriculture everywhere, no mountains, no hills, Its a 2 story, a lot of mature ash/beech/sycamore Alder trees near it............

How about 'Tog Bog E'. It means 'Take it easy' in Irish,

what about something irish? has he got a sea or mountain view? is he on a hill or a hollow? give us a few pointers please.

Irish is out because its not in the gaeltacht, although I guess thats not a requirement.
Actually "abhaile" as someone suggested does sound quite clever

Irish is out because its not in the gaeltacht, although I guess thats not a requirement.
Actually "abhaile" as someone suggested does sound quite clever

Lots of houses in the Galltacht in Irish.

Is he open to an Irish name?

I once saw a house called "Two Hoots" and thought it was a great name. What about a name you like spelled backwards, I remember seeing a house called "DNESGNIR" and it took me a while to figure it out!

He'd probably prefer something not in the Irish language, although it shouldnt be ruled out.
As a pretentious example of what he is looking for, "Valhalla" means Viking Heaven, he doesnt want to use this though. Something drawing from Greek or Roman mythology might be good though.

Paddy, not everyone will understand that the Galltacht is the country outside of the Gaeltacht.

I live in Cork and all my children have Irish names so, Louis, your friend shouldn't rule out an Irish name even if he's living in the Galltacht.

What about "Suaimhneas" meaning calm or tranquility?

If I was naming a house, I'd go for a place name from somewhere in the West Kerry Gaeltacht. Something like Clogher, Cuas, An Ghráig, An Tiaracht or Beiginis.

Sorry for rambling. I just think that Irish names have great character. :)

Back