A Bungalow That Was Built On A Slab Of Concrete - No Foundations??

NOAH

I have been adbvised that I the old bungalow I bought was built in 1975 using the slab of concrete and not foundations and it may not even have a dpc mebrane. Nice to know now but does it matter and waht pitfalls should I protect myself against? I think I can put a damp proof membrane undr any floor coverings I decide to use and that should help. House was built in 1975. No evidence of damp.

I want to extend and does it have any impact on that?

Any help appreciated.

Noah

Does it have a radon barrier? This could be important depending on which part of the country the house is located.

www.payback.ie

The house was probably built on a "raft foundation", which is a specially designed slab, normally reinforced with steel and used where ground conditions vary greatly on site. How do you know there is no DPM? If extending you should retain the services of a chartered engineer to design the foundations for any new extension. Such foundations must be capable of accommodating any subsequent movement of the existing raft. This is really an area for a an experienced engineer.

thanks for replies, I doubt if it has a radon barrier. I have put in those radon checkers and I post them back this week. I have noted the point about engineer as well. I will be able to check if it has a dpc as well.

noah

How thick is the concrete plateau/raft under the bungalow. From this information one should be able to calculate whether the house is safe or not - I think it should be about 10 inches thick.
Vincent

Hi, I am around again, still waiting for a few quotes!! I am also trying to get an engineer. I know this is stupid but how do I measure the thickness of the concrete??? If I use a drill am I likely to penetrate the dpc layer?

I have now been told that the internal floors are at the same level of the footpaths round the house and they should in fact be 6 ins higher!! A chap today said I could raise floors by using a mixture of battens and 2 inch plywood and then lay solid wood floors. I am not excatly sure of the combination he said that could be used to raise floors. I know it would mean raising all the internal doors but if it meant a better job I may be inclined to do that. The ceilings are quite high at present.

Help again.

noah

Back