92% of people yet to register for household charge

Status
Not open for further replies.

NorfBank

Only 133,365 properties have been registered.

€13.3 million raised.
Government hopes to raise an additonal €146.7m by March 31.

Good luck with that.

[broken link removed]

Will be really interesting to see how this pans out. The website won't be able to cope should the remaining 92% try and register over the coming 4 weeks but the chances of that happening anyway are, to put it mildly, slim!! So lets say even if 42% more register, leaving 50% not registered. How on earth can the government deal with that?

‎8% registered at the end of February, so just to calculate- it was 5% the end of January, its now 8% the end of February, so that means for the whole of month of February, just an extra 3% registered and payed- not looking good for the goverment-another point, we don,t know how many out of those who registered have actually paid, and how many just registered to claim their excemption.

Most people pay their bills only when they have to. Was it not the same with the NPPR.

This month I will register and pay about the 29th (last Thursday of the month). Website will probably crash on the 30th.

I know there has a been a lot of info in the media about this, but has there been ANY official communication between the State and householder on this issue.

I have no recollection of receiving any letter, info leaflet, seeing and adverts etc etc from official sources. No 'how to register and pay' details have been circulated. So its not surprising that most people havent paid.

I'm aware first hand of people that own other properties that are registered with the State already having registered those properties BUT excluded their homes and any properties that State bodies are not aware of, in that case the 133000 odd that have registered would skew these numbers.

I havn't registered myself yet and am very disinclined to, people power !

On the whole the government have handled the introduction very badly. We got nothing official from them, they expect us to chase them to give them money. It's absurd. Why couldn't they get the names of householders from the Land Registry or the like and issue us with an invoice.

What about people that don't read newspapers or watch the news? There are plenty of people like that. There are lots of people that never touch a computer either.

I do and I barely know anything about it. The main reason I know anything about it is the hype generated by the opposition to it. If that wasn't being reported I wouldn't have a clue.

I have no idea how to register either. I'll figure it out if and when I have to. I have to say I am normally law abiding, I pay every penny of every bill on time but I don't see why I should pay this when I haven't even been billed for it.

I paid over €12k in stamp duty when I bought my house so I feel that should be taken into account somehow. I've paid my due's.

I am reluctant to register as I am struggling to keep my head above water with some rental properties. My fear is that if I register on the database, I will be liable for this proposed broadcasting charge when it comes in and maybe even a flat water charge, if water meters are not installed. I don't really have a problem with the household charge as it is a property tax, but really don't want to be paying for tenants broadcasting and water charges. It's all very well to say, raise the rents, but that is not possible with the current supply and demand situation, where it is difficult to get tenants.

MB05,

you'd need to be a hermit not to have heard of the Household Charge.

Many taxes are self-assessment, e.g. CGT, CAT, etc.

I know there has a been a lot of info in the media about this, but has there been ANY official communication between the State and householder on this issue.

I have no recollection of receiving any letter, info leaflet, seeing and adverts etc etc from official sources. No 'how to register and pay' details have been circulated. So its not surprising that most people havent paid.

Yes. Ads in papers, plus leaflet in my door.

Am I right in saying that if u don't pay with 12 it's increased by 20%
So it'd be €120 or is there interest payable too

If the vast majority of people don't register - do ye think the state will go after 10s of tousands of householders?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back