900 v 1000 litres Kerosene

J

juanpablo

First time buying Kerosene in new house and my tank's capacity is 1000 litres, nearly but not quite empty. A friend has told me that if you look for a quote of 1000 litres and actually only get say 900 litres a different unit price is charged. It looks as if it is not possible to order 1000 without letting your system run dry.

Where is the cheapest most efficient delivery in southside dublin. Need to order in next day or so I would imagine.

oil price

I am sure if you tell the supplier that there is not quite a full 1000 litres they will give you the same price anyway.

Also is it logical to buy a full tank right now, there are 2 reasons why I wouldn't.

1. Oil prices are high at moment and if you only buy a half tank you might get it cheaper in the new year.

2. What if the tank bursts and you lose your 1000L of Oil? I'm not sure where you live but in my area there are people who steal Oil from exposed tanks. These people tend to live in flexible housing, the type that can be towed around the place.

Re: oil price

Hi juanpablo jister,

Ive never heard of this. The misunderstanding probably arises from the The oil compan's practice of quoting a price per 1000 liters. The will charge you exacly for the litres on the delivery ticket at the rate quoted. Some oil companies may have a minimum 'drop' - usually 500 l. Im not sure what happens when you actually recieve less than that because your tank is full but I'm nearly sure they cant over charge you for say 400 l.

Oil Prices are quite high at the moment
... but they also might be higher in the future.

What if the tank bursts
I have never heard of this happening. Has any one else?

ajapale

tank bursting

The tank bursting was a general term I used for the oil disappearing one way or another, eg. it gets robbed or you accidentaly burst the pipe leading into the house or something like that.

Kids are great at climbing on my tank, to get on the roof, using the exit pipe for a leg up, if they burst the pipe the oil would be long gone before I could plug the hole.

Kerosene

I bought 500 litres of kerosene last week from EMO oil (golden pages advert) for sth side Dublin. €235 incl Vat.And I rang a few places before going with them.

This is actually cheaper than last year when (according to an invoice left in the house I moved into) it was €250 for the same delivery in November 03, but from a different supplier (I actually rang this supplier and they quoted me €290!!!!!).

EMO have a website where you can get a quote on-line for whatever quantity of fuel you need.....

Heating oil tanks

""Kids are great at climbing on my tank, to get on the roof, using the exit pipe for a leg up, if they burst the pipe the oil would be long gone before I could plug the hole""

I would sincerely recommend that you do something to prevent this. Aside from the obvious dangers, allowing children to experience exposure to carcinogenic vapours from the tank is incredibly irresponsible.
Next time you're filling the car in a garage, take note of the sign indicating that children under 15 years of age are not permitted to use the pumps - according to legislation S. I. something or other. It's there for a purpose.

In addition, the dangers to soil and water contamination from tank leakage affect everyone in the area. Hope at least nobody in the area uses water from their own well !

Heating Oil

If your tank is 1000 lt I would not advise letting it run down too low as you may have a problem with sludge which builds up at bottom of tank .This may be small but if it is taken into your burner you might have a much more expensive problem as your heating may fail and you will have to get the burner serviced .Not a good idea to let oil drop to less than 100ltrs. or so .

Re: Heating Oil

I'v had oil and have sometimes let it run out. All I had to do was to mention it to the guy when ordering and the bloke who refilled the tank came into the kitchen and did "something or other" to get it going again but I've never had any problems since.

Re: Heating Oil

That something or other wasn't anything to do with sludge, it was more than likely him bleeding the boiler to get rid of any airlocks

900 v 1000 litres Kerosene

Likely that if its a 1000 litre tank you'll only get around 900/950 anyway because of possibility of expansion.

900 v 1000

Thanks Delboy

My mate was right. www.emo.ie are quoting €238 for 500 litres (€476 for 1000) and www.cheaperdirect.com quote €258 for 500 and €470 for 1000. ie cheaperdirect offer different unit price if you buy 1000. As tank is only 1000 one will never be able to get full tank. Emo.ie for me.

Re: 900 v 1000

Thanks Lads.
Just ordered 500 litres kerosene from EMO for E238.35.
Make sure you order online.Price by phone was about E254.
Thats E16 saved thanks to AAM.
Believe they need contributions.
Anyone know their bank details?

Hi Guggie,

"Thats E16 saved thanks to AAM.
Believe they need contributions.
Anyone know their bank details?"

You may well be referring to this request for funds some time back which thanks to everyone was achieved in a few days :)

Not aware of any further funds needed at present but thanks for the offer.

kerosene

Buckled up the courage and bought for the first time online ! Gave my details and credit card and they rang me on the morning of requested delivery and came 3 minutes before I requested. Lovely guy. Cheaper than everywhere else I rang around.

From Emo

Hi

Many thanks for the recommendations!

Marketing Manager, Emo Oil........

OIL

A small story on the ordering price. I ordered a 1000 litres earlier this year from kiernans on the crumlin road. I thought the tank was empty but there must have been a few litres left. When the guy filled up the tank he didnt get quite the 1000 in (think it was about 30ltrs short). He changed the invoice price to reflect this difference. Not sure if this is common practice, but with the hand written xmas card I got in the door from them last week, they impressed me.

Re: OIL

Not sure if this is common practice

I thought that it was. That's how other family members generally sorted it anyway (not on oil myself). Note that it's not really a good idea to run the oil tank down fully before refilling as it can result in residue/dirt being passed into feed pipe and boiler which can result in damage and more frequent than normal servicing.

Back