90% of Cork HAP inspections fail

Is that also because there are mandatory inspections for HAP though? Most owner-occupied properties would certainly fail the inspections.
Might be that mechanical ventilation is needed for a "land locked" bathroom with no window (or with only a Velux style roof window?)? My house has such a bathroom but no mechanical ventilation which surprised me. But maybe things were different in 1995 when it was built?
From what I recall they require an extractor fan if it is a windowless bathroom.

But if you got a type 2 survey done on a house they would say the same thing.
Same goes for fire alarms - supposed to be made after 2009 and in good working order, wired not battery operated ones.
The restrictors apply to anything a child can fall out. In case of house I bought this meant that an upstairs balcony door was bolted shut (window repair guy reckoned it had never been opened and described the fix as "ingenious really")
But also had restrictors on a window in a ground floor basement room in a rental simply because it was more than 1.4m above the ground (to my knowledge, nobody can fall out upwards).

The crazy thing is most of the "standards" includes fixed things being in place rather than efficient solutions so it means yes appliances are there but not effective ones.
The one that annoyed me was demand for "tenant controlled" heating which put an end to landlords throwing in free central heating that was on a fixed timer, and instead putting ineffectual, expensive and generally useless storage heaters on every wall.

In one of the reports I got they were looking for my electrics to be certified by an electrician (this was on a 2004 high end apartment, that never had any modifications)?

And for the plumbing to be certified??

Since the apartment was never modified and all of these services were certified on construction, I just thought this was really excessive red tape & unnecessary expensive bureaucracy.... but that's inspections for you..... they become an industry and a cost centre of themselves.....

In one of the reports I got they were looking for my electrics to be certified by an electrician (this was on a 2004 high end apartment, that never had any modifications)?

And for the plumbing to be certified??

Since the apartment was never modified and all of these services were certified on construction, I just thought this was really excessive red tape & unnecessary expensive bureaucracy.... but that's inspections for you..... they become an industry and a cost centre of themselves.....
Do they (in my case the council on behalf of HAP) have a right to demand certification.

I know when I was asked, I replied that they have sent out an inspector, and if he was not qualified to conduct the inspection they should find a better one. I never heard from them again.

I notice reading this again it refers to Cork. Had experience in the past with general inspections and I think Cork particularly target older subdivided properties, which to be fair, in the city centre tend to be poorly divided and substandard, old properties that would be long overdue for upgrades. I lived in a place that had no hot running water and it failed on that basis in the early days of council inspections (it hadn't mattered to me at the time because the unit had a power shower).

Well whole thing seems to be becoming moot now, per the latest Simon lockedout report, there is nothing (or as close to nothing as makes no difference) in Cork City within HAP limits

Back