802.11g Wireless Home Network Issues

Bootdog

Have been trying for days to get a home wireless network setup.

Have BT Broadband (Zyxel 623r-t1 modem/router), and want to add Linksys WRK54G router and Linksys PCMCIA 802.11G notebook card.

I have managed the following:
Bridged the Zyxel router
Connected the WRK54G router to the modem, and set up a wired network to the laptop.
DHCP works fine, internet access etc. all work fine when the wired connection to the WRK54G is used.

However, I cannot get the wireless link from the laptop to the WRK54G to work. It appears that DHCP is not working across the wireless link. The laptop can see the network and a couple of neighbours' networks, but cannot connect. I tried disabling the security, tried various channels, removed MAC filter etc.

There was setup software with the notebook adapter which i know can conflict with the Windows software, but try as I might, neither seems to work.

The only other thing I can do is completely remove everything and start from scratch again. Is there a way to prevent Windows from taking over the setup and allowing the supplied software to manage everything and vice-versa?

I am thinking that there may be interference from DECT phones or the MMDS Ntl service in the area. Is there any way to confirm this, or how would it manifest itself?

Leaving the zyxel and any other mobile equipment aside for the time being. You should be able to get a straight forward wireless connection to the linksys whatever about web access.

(although youve probably done this already) Whilst wired, on the wireless setup page on the linksys, check the SSID youve given the network and make sure you can see this in your wireless networks available. Check enable broadcast. Make sure DHCP server is enabled on the main setup page.

Maybe try an ipconfig /release and an ipconfig /flushdns to clear out any cached ip info before forcing a wireless connect to the wireless NW.

If youre using the zyxel with BT you'll need to set PPPOE on the main page and enter your BT login details, but this should only be for web access, you should be able to get on to the linksys anyway.

If using XP SP1 (may apply to others - I don't know), it might be worth checking that this is not the issue:

Double click on the wireless network connection (one of the icons in the bottom right corner), select your network and then check that the box 'Allow me to connect to the selected network even though it is not secure' box is ticked.

This will only happen, if you do not have WEP (or an alternative) encryption setup. A MAC address filtered (convenient at home) is not considered 'secure' for the purposes of this setting.

Hope this helps.

Lanky

Thanks for the replies folks. I tried the ipconfig suggestions and it still won't work.

Out of interest, I brought home a laptop from work, keyed in the security settings, and had it online within about 30 seconds, which verifies that the wireless router and broadband works. It looks like there is a problem with my own laptop or the PCMCIA card or a conflict between them.

I also tried an 802.11b card from work, which I know works correctly, and this would not get me onto the home network (which is set up for mixed b/g mode). In each case, my laptop gets stuck looking for an IP address, and eventually defaults to the built-in default IP address in the card.

It looks like a hardware or networking problem on my laptop.

Any other pointers on where to start looking?

don't know if this helps, but I had issues with linksys wireless modem/router also.

in the heel of the hunt I found the cd supplied with the product was buggy and used the web interface to config the modem/router.

the linksys site has a fair bit of trouble shooting advise and a there's a forum also (which was where I got the advice not to use the cd to configure).

Try opening a live chat session with linksys support, while Ive had to do this in the past and not got much help(I didnt find them all that knowledgable), you may get something from them.
Failing that, open a call with the manufacturer of the pcmcia card.
Id also post over on boards.ie AND the linksys forum.

Have you checked to make sure that you're using the latest firmware and drivers for all WiFi devices?

Thanks for the replies folks.

I checked the drivers for the PCMCIA card, but never checked the firmware for the router, must do that this evening.

Both are made by Linksys, and came in a box together for about 100 euro from Maplin, they would be good value if I get them to work.

I've sent the details to Linksys, I'll let you know if they come back with anything useful.

Here's what to do:

Ethernet cable to the ZyXEL a PC (desk or lap -top)
browser to 192.168.1.1
logon 'admin' (default password is 1234)
WAN / Mode (set to 'Bridge')
LAN / DHCP (set to 'None')
Logout

Ethernet cable to the LinkSys (port 1 - 4) a PC (desk or lap -top). No cable to 'Internet' port
Start/Settings/Network Connections/Local Area Connection (double click)/Internet Protocol(TCP/IP)/Properties/Use the following.../IP address:192.168.1.2/Subnet mask:255.255.255.0/Default gateway:192.168.1.1/OK
Start/Run.../Open:cmd/"ipconfig /release"
browser to 192.168.1.1
logon admin (no password)
Internet Connection Type - PPPoE
User name: (value from BT Ireland)
Password: (value from BT Ireland)
N.B. You probably selected the above two values when applying to BT Ireland
DHCP Server: Enable
Starting IP Addresss: 2
Maximum number of DHCP Users: 5
Save settings

Cable ZyXEL to Linksys 'Internet' port
Power cycle (unplug/plug) Linksys

Start/Settings/Network Connections/Local Area Connection (double click)/Internet Protocol(TCP/IP)/Properties/Obtain IP address automatically/Obtain DNS server address automatically/OK
Start/Run.../Open:cmd/"ipconfig /renew"

HTH

Because the work laptop is operating correctly (it is remotely possible that it's last DHCP lease (unexpired) was from an identically numbered DHCP server, most which default to 192.168.1.1), the connection worked. Or, the registry key under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Dhcp is really foobar'd on the personal laptop, in which case - WinsockXPfix might be yer man.

Last edited by a moderator:
Max, thanks for those instructions they must have taken ages to type.

This problem turned out to be a software issue with SSH Sentinel (VPN software for connecting to work network). SSH Sentinel takes over the IP Stack apparently, which messes up the wireless.

In case anyone else runs into this:
At the moment there is no solution, but there is a workaround - uncheck the TCP/IP services on the wireless connection, click OK, then go back in and check the box again. This has to be done each time SSH Sentinel is started, so its not ideal.

Linksys did get back to me, but took about 8 weeks to answer each email I sent them. They claimed to not know about the issue, but it is a known issue with the technology, and affects Intel Proset wireless devices also (and probably other brands too).

Back