8 year old car front discs

pinkie123

Is it normal to need front brake pads + discs on an 8 year old car? Break pads just to their limit i.e. no damage to discs because of worn brake pads. I just assumed would just need new pads, but seemingly it "needs" discs also, which is a €€€.

I've an 8 year old car, at the last service (Dec 2015) was told that the break discs need to be replaced on it shortly. Same situation to yourself, pads were replaced on time in the past so no wearing.
Was surprised at the high cost of replacing the discs (quote was from main dealer).

Wouldn't be at all unusual. It's a how long is a piece of string type question, it will all depend on mileage, urban versus rural or motorway driving and driving style.

You should be able to see the discs easily enough on most cars to see for yourself.

As Leo said, lot depends on mileage and driving style.
Break pads are subject to wear and tear, and don't last forever. i'd say they're usually replaced every year to few years, as part of standard service. Think about it like an oil change.
Discs do last much longer if there's no problem (like to-the-bone-break pads), or very little driving hence rust building up.

Discs wear down just like brake-pads, they'll eventually need replacing. To gauge this they need to be measured accurately as well as visually inspected for pitting or other damage. They are not expensive, simple to remove and replace as they are usually held in place on the wheel-hub by a single screw, with the wheel-bolts doing the heavy clamping-work. The wheel bolts/studs make a big sandwich - wheel, brake-disc, hub. 8 years is a pretty amazing lifespan though.

Back