7 week boiler out of action. What to do next?

wazee1974

Hi All,

I'm looking for some advice on what to do next. 7 weeks ago we reported to the management company that our shower/boiler was not working properly. The hot water only lasts about 3 minutes and then goes cold.

We reported this but although persons have been to look/work on it, it still isn't fixed. We have to do all the running around making us we email, phone, make us we are in when they want to come round. There communication is very poor and they don't seem to be too interested in us.

I'm at the end of my tether, my wife is 32 weeks pregnant and could do with longer than 3 minute showers. What can I do next, can I withhold rent until the job is rectified. Any advice would be most welcome.

Thanks..

I'm amazed you've left it so long.

I've had tenants boilers and shower pumps go wrong a few times . Within a week maximum they've been fixed or replaced, or whatever cause has been rectified.

This is an emergency .
Why haven't you told (backed by letter) your LL/his agents that if they don't fix it within xyz days you have no other course of action than to replace it yourself with money normally used for rent.

Personally, i'd get a plumber first thing in the morning (though if there's snow etc tomorrow they may be busy) and tell him you'll pay cash for anything he does.

However, a more cautious person would advise three days notice- so write that letter now, e-mail and deliver it. And phone them.

Don't be put off by bullying bull . This is a force majeure situation and they have blatantly failed in their duty.

Bluntly, most other tenants would have done this long ago.

I agree with Oldnick, 7 weeks is inexcusable, and it's winter and your wife is pregnant. Shame on the management company/landlord.

I also advice you to leave this property as soon as legally possible.

Hi jdwex, the letting agent/management company/developer are the same company. A NAMA listed developer who I better not name.

Thanks for your replies Ill get tough with them.

the letting agent/management company/developer are the same company.

This cannot be correct. The management company is the legal entity of all owners in a managed development. The developer may be a director of the management company if not all units are sold. Your issue is with the letting agent. It's really important to get the terminology right to avoid confusion.

Hi she sells. Will try and get terminology correct in future.

Please note there are no owners in the development, they are all let. They may well be all different legal entities, however the contact for all issues be it maintenance, admin, payment etc all refer to the same contact office/number.

Back