55 cents for a stamp but no postman?

SlurrySlump

I noticed that we have had no postal deliveries for two days so I rang our local post office in Blackrock Co. Dublin to be told that they had no postman to deliver our post. An Post recently increased the price of a stamp to 55 cents. Someone has paid this price to have a letter delivered to me....if Ryanair can fly me to Spain for 1c......

I have max 2 deliveries a week a max since December. Answer from the Post office: We have no staff.

Parcels are not send out for delivery at all, the record online says "send out for delivery" but no attempt ever made. After the 3rd or 4st "send out for delivery" the postman brings an attempted delivery note. Not a parcel delivery guy, the normal postman on 1 of his 2 tours. Answer from the Post: We are sorry, we have taken steps to stop this (since december) and again "we have no staff".

These days I go down to the post office once I see the "send out for delivery" online for the 1st time and collect the parcel myself.

And they wonder why others swapp over to private companies.

Recently I ordered from Sony, they offered DHL for 5€, Post for 5€, guess what I took...

Recently, the post box near where we live got knocked over (don't know how, it must weigh a ton!). Anyway, it was like that for over a week, so i wrote to An Post and asked them to reinstate it.

An Post replied that the usual contractor they used for repairing post boxes was out sick and they were attemping to source an alternative. I kid you not. I wondered had i gone back in time to the 1950's!!

Anyhow, i emailed my local TD, who wrote a letter to An Post and, lo and behold, the post box was repaired the following day!

So, email your TD and see what happens.

15 minutes ago I saw the post man (wow, 2nd time this week) and he handed me an "attempted delivery note" saying that he tried to deliver a parcel and that I could collect it.

I said, well here I am, hand the parcel over to which he replied that he does not have it with them, I need to collect it because "the driver is sick this week"......

I just mailed COMREG, it can't be that AnPost can charge for services they don't deliver.

I was looking on An Posts website about the new price for a stamp which is now 55 cent. All it goes on about is it is the first increase in so many years and the new design of the new stamp, no mention about the 48 cent stamps that you may have and are they still valid and is there a date when they are not accepted after. I was in the post office on Monday no posters in office stating new price etc. I asked at the desk and was informed you have to make up the difference with 2 cent and 5 cent stamps. Which is going to be awkard for alot of people who get stamps in advance for the year. Very bad advertising for them plus the book of ten Wedding Stamps is advertised at 4.80 euro in todays paper which is 48 cent per stamp.

Slash, I contacted my local T.D. who lives in Blackrock about this last year by email. It took her one month to reply. What I got was a standard "fob off" response. Can't wait to see her when she comes knocking on our door toward election time!

The link between the price of a stamp and absenteeism is hard to understand-even Ryanair have people that go sick

....if Ryanair can fly me to Spain for 1c......
Do you really think it costs this and Ryanair can make money at 1c?

While you're buying the 7c stamps to use with your stock of 48c stamps, you might like to ask for a few 3c stamps to add to your stock of 75c stamps used for posting abroad....didn't hear much about that increase in the papers (since it wasn't so long ago when it increased from 60c to 75c in the first place!)

AnPost provides no value for money in standard letters (when is the last time you got a letter stamped the day before it arrives) nor does it in Parcels nor does it sending mail overseas.

Sending parcels in Ireland is way faster/cheaper with private couriers, sending parcels overseas it's either cheap and unreliable (AnPost) or higher prices and reliable (DHL/Fedex/UPS).

For parcels from overseas into the country I refuse to buy from companies that use AnPost, either they offer a courier (and DHL is usualy as expensive as postal service) or I try to go somewhere else. Hoping that AnPost delivers is like hoping to win the lottery.

Sure with e-mail/phone/fax there is no big demand for letters, but certainly in the area of parcels one would think that fullfilling the UPO would actualy work!

AnPost provides no value for money in standard letters........

55c buys less than 15 minutes of on street parking in central Dublin.

55c buys about one fifth of a sambo

55c buys around a mile in a car

I dont understand how you can post that

"AnPost provides no value for money in standard letters"

A letter from Aghadoe to Achill

or Ballydehob to Bundoran

or Carrygerry to Clare Island

or ......

I find the post quiet we sent out wedding invites and got a text the next day from several people saying they got, posted in Ashbourne recieved Drogheda, Swords, Town etc. It took only 2 days to get to Cork. My mam would always post cards etc and my auntie would get it the next day. The problem seems to be certain areas for delivery. We posted invite on Wednesday and someone did not recieve it till the following Tuesday in Kinsealy Swords so it went to Cork quicker. My friend lives in Kinsealy aswell and says the post is very bad she gets bills in the post that they have to be paid the next day she has complained to her local office.

I dont understand how you can post that

"AnPost provides no value for money in standard letters"

Because 55 cent for a standard Letter in Austria (comparable size) bring next day delivery at resonable hours in most cases and if there is a complaint it is addressed fast.
Because 55 cent for a standard Letter in Germany (way larger) bring next day delivery at resonable hours in most cases.

So comparing the same money paid (strange how postal rates match accross Europe) I get reliable service in other countries and in ireland I don't. So I don't get value for money.

Reading the Post of "LIVERLIPS" however seems to confirm that this might be a local problem (speak Swords) and not a common Ireland problem. Well let's see what COMREG says to my complaint.

I'm impressed.

I complained to ComReg last week with cc to AnPost Customer service, who responded and said that the local delivery manager is going to sort this.

Today the door bell rings and an AnPost Parcel Delivery persons hands me over a parcel, mubles something about "this is last weeks" and is off.

Parcel shows markings about 2 attempted deliveries on dates where I have been home so that a lie anyhow, but now I got my last weeks parcel.

Let's see if it improves otherwise, I just told all online shops I shop from "no more unles you use something else than AnPost". The only way to go is to not use them.

Back