500gb external storage drive

doogo

Can anyone suggest a good one and what sort of price I should be willing to pay?

thks

There are a few threads on external hard drives already. Try searching (see my signature link).

I bought a Western Digital My Book Essential Edition 320GB USB2.0 from Komplett in February this year. Paid 132e inc tax and freight. Since then bought 2 x 500GB of the same brand storage. These drives are always on with the PC and being continually accessed and all seems to be fine.
www.Komplett.ie

I've always bought on eBay but the local retail prices are probably not much higher these days. Bear in mind that the larger capacity drives will be 3.5" and not 2.5" with only the latter having the capacbility to be self/USB powered while the former will always require an external power supply which is not much use for use on the go.

personally speaking, If I was purchasing an item like this I would pay the extra and go for a recordable media centre - that way you can save what you want from the PC...but you would also have the option of saving programes directly from the TV, including DVD's you watch, as well of course of listening to music / viewing photo's that you may have on your PC on the TV.... usually comes with a handy remote aswell....may cost an extra €100 to what your talking about getting, but an option none the less.

personally speaking, If I was purchasing an item like this I would pay the extra and go for a recordable media centre - that way you can save what you want from the PC...but you would also have the option of saving programes directly from the TV, including DVD's you watch, as well of course of listening to music / viewing photo's that you may have on your PC on the TV.... usually comes with a handy remote aswell....may cost an extra €100 to what your talking about getting, but an option none the less.

Could you suggest one, I have gone a few months without making any "entertainment" purchases and well, it is christmas soon...

lidl 500gb €109
still available now?
I'd doubt it, but you'd never know. They were on offer last Monday. They'll probably have them again in another few months, with higher capacity.

I think all of the recent PC/IT offers in Lidl cleared out quickly - at least in Moore Street!

Could you suggest one, I have gone a few months without making any "entertainment" purchases and well, it is christmas soon...

same as, same as -- am thinking of treating myself to one - - there are a selection on Ebay. Just make sure you get the recordable one rather than the straight 500gig media centre

You might consider [broken link removed] as well-these devices appear there every so often.

You might consider [broken link removed] as well-these devices appear there every so often.

CCovich is right - they have a reasonably high spec one at a v reasonable price (sub €200 if my memory serves me correctly) that has appared approx. twice since September - If your not in a rush then Id wait for that

Bear in mind that, the larger the capacity of a harddrive, the more data is lost if it all goes to pot.

Some might argue that they're cheap enough these days to have two and keep one as a redundant copy/clone of the other.

Peats had Iomega 500GB's for €119. Probably not as reliable as other brands but at that price buy two of them, and like clubman says have one as a clone of the other. That what I do.

Iomega units will surely contain a drive made by one of the usual hard disk manufacturers - Seagate, Samsung, WD, Hitachi, Toshiba, Fujitsu etc. (not even sure that etc. is necessary!). I don't think that they manufacture hard drives drives themselves so to say that they will be less reliable is surely misleading.

I had a SeaGate one just over a year ago. It went belly up after 3 months & I lost everything on it. These things will break down at some stage, whether it's 3 months, 3 years and so on. It's a bit of a pain in the This post will be deleted if not edited to remove bad language but back your important stuff in a number of ways (2nd storage device, CD's etc)

Back