500 euro for service

Can anyone reccomend somewhere for cheaper Volvo service (in north leinster if possible)? I paid 300 euro for last service at a main dealer, garage rang me while the car was in and said car needs 4 new tyres will we put them on, 220 euro each. One of the tyres was 5 months old and had cost me 150 euro. Will not be returning to that dealer needless to say.

! I was quoted 1180 -1200 (amazing how closely priced they all were!- hmmmm) for the same work with annesley, MSL and foster Fosters.

I.....

Well in the Republic all the dealers do meet to discuss tactics. There was a tv programme on Rte abiut 2 years ago,where the obvious was pointed out, eg price fixing.

Can anyone reccomend somewhere for cheaper Volvo service (in north leinster if possible)? I paid 300 euro for last service at a main dealer, garage rang me while the car was in and said car needs 4 new tyres will we put them on, 220 euro each. One of the tyres was 5 months old and had cost me 150 euro. Will not be returning to that dealer needless to say.

Do the tires need replacing. Maybe theres a problem with them, bad tracking, other damage etc. Judge on the condition not the age. Do you know how to check wear on a tire, and do you check the wear indicators? Are the tires at the right pressure?

Ok,finally got what was done,oil change=26.50,filter=5.90,fuel filter=19.20,air filter=22.90,break light switch=37.00,brake pads=34.00,bulbs=18.00,coolant=8.00,engine check on computer=78.00,labour=185.00,total bill=490.00,does it seem ok?????

Jeez €500 does sound like an awful lot for a standard service.. I go to a place that do VAG commercials here in Dublin to get mine serviced, still get the dealer stamp when servicing but much more reasonable.

Last time was a full service on an A6, timing belt and water pump done, 2 new brake disks on front, full set of brake pads and that only cost me just over the €1k mark

I.C

oil change=26.50 (Good price for 4 ltrs of VW spec oil; I pay €40/5 litres inc VAT)
oil filter=5.90 (Good price)
fuel filter=19.20 (Good price, they can be as much as €50)
brake light switch=37.00 (There was a factory recall on these as they caused EML to come on)
brake pads=34.00 (Good price if front pads, expensive if rears)
bulbs=18.00 (Rear bulbs cost about €1/€2 each, main-beams €4, side-lights & fogs €10 each)
coolant=8.00 (they must have replaced it all, €9/1.5 litre undiluted VW G12+)
engine check on computer=78.00 (Ridiculous charge - it takes 5 minutes)
labour=185.00 (2 hours max - seems high)

This thread makes me feel very lucky. We have a VW guy who will service our Passat at the weekend and will then stamp the book for us:D

But 500 would shock me for "basic service", there seems to be more done than the basic on that.

oengine check on computer=78.00 (Ridiculous charge - it takes 5 minutes)
I've never seen a separate charge for these checks. What are they charging you for? It is not a consumable part, and they have already charged you separately for labour. They might as well be charging you for use of the spanner or the jack or any other tools used during the service.

I've never seen a separate charge for these checks. What are they charging you for? It is not a consumable part, and they have already charged you separately for labour. They might as well be charging you for use of the spanner or the jack or any other tools used during the service.

Yes, it is a bit silly but not entirely unexpected.

Their justification would probably be that they have to make their money back on the purchase and maintenance of this expensive equipment - although they would never admit that.

Back